Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Screenshot not being saved to desktop

Hi everyone!

I've just realized that my Cmd + Shift + 3 is no longer saving screenshots on my desktop. Although the captured sound still plays when I press the combination, nothing happens afterward. Please send me some help T.T

MacBook Pro 15″, macOS 13.2

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:36 AM

Perhaps the "Options" selection for saving a Screenshot has been inadvertently changed.

By default, screenshots save to your desktop with the name ”Screen Shot [date] at [time].png.”

In macOS Mojave or later, you can change the default location of saved screenshots from the Options menu in the Screenshot app. You can also drag the thumbnail to a folder or document.

Take pictures or screen recordings using Screenshot

1. On your Mac, press Shift-Command-5 (or use Launchpad) to open Screenshot and display the tools.

Please refer to these two Support Articles for further information.

1. Take a screenshot on your Mac
  2. Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 7:36 AM in response to nguyên44

Perhaps the "Options" selection for saving a Screenshot has been inadvertently changed.

By default, screenshots save to your desktop with the name ”Screen Shot [date] at [time].png.”

In macOS Mojave or later, you can change the default location of saved screenshots from the Options menu in the Screenshot app. You can also drag the thumbnail to a folder or document.

Take pictures or screen recordings using Screenshot

1. On your Mac, press Shift-Command-5 (or use Launchpad) to open Screenshot and display the tools.

Please refer to these two Support Articles for further information.

1. Take a screenshot on your Mac
  2. Take screenshots or screen recordings on Mac

Screenshot not being saved to desktop

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.