Can any of the ports on the back of 27" thunderbolt 2 display be used as input ports

Quick question about my 27" Thunderbolt 2 display, model no. A1407, circa 2014.

This has the standard Apple octopus Thunderbolt 2 output cable combined with a magsafe power connector.

I am connecting it to my 2021 MacBook Pro M1 via a Thunderbolt 2 to USB-C adaptor.

The Display has 3 USB-2 ports, one Thunderbolt 2 port, 1 firewire 800 port and one gigabit ethernet port.

Problem is, the built-in Thunderbolt output cable has become loose or frayed at the input end, and very unreliable. It only has to be lightly touched or jiggled at the input end for the screen to go black and then you have to wait for a while for the video to come back, and the computer password has to be entered again.

Someone suggested to me that I could just bypass the screen's output cable and plug a Thunderbolt 2 cable into the back of the display -- using the Thunderbolt port on the display as a video input port.

So -- my question is whether the Thunderbolt 2 port on the back of my display (or any other ports) can be used as a video input port, or is it just an output port?

Thanks

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 9, 2023 6:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 5:19 PM

I've done this on my old Thunderbolt monitor and it worked.

So yes, you should be able to use any of the other TB ports for use as a display input.

Similar questions

1 reply

Can any of the ports on the back of 27" thunderbolt 2 display be used as input ports

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.