Apple MagSafe 2 Power Adapter

Can I use a 10W USB Power Adapter AC Plug (Indian Region) with my Magsafe 2 Power Adapter?

(I have a MacBook air 2017)

MacBook Air 13″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:09 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:54 AM

10W will hardly power a flee.

It will certainly not do anything more than slightly reduce the time before your power drains completely on your Mac.

You really need the correct adapter as this article indicates:

Identify your Mac power adapter - Apple Support

Specifically if you have identified the age of your machine correctly only a 45W Magsafe 2 will work. I've put 85W Magsafe 2 adapters on these machines and the port gets burnt out.

And given that your Mac depends on Magsafe for power, it is doubtful that USB-C will actually add power to your Mac at all.

11 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 7:54 AM in response to Appleuser1101_

10W will hardly power a flee.

It will certainly not do anything more than slightly reduce the time before your power drains completely on your Mac.

You really need the correct adapter as this article indicates:

Identify your Mac power adapter - Apple Support

Specifically if you have identified the age of your machine correctly only a 45W Magsafe 2 will work. I've put 85W Magsafe 2 adapters on these machines and the port gets burnt out.

And given that your Mac depends on Magsafe for power, it is doubtful that USB-C will actually add power to your Mac at all.

May 9, 2023 8:17 PM in response to Appleuser1101_

That connector is unique for each country that has a unique connector. Apple has specific prongs available as part of an international adapter travel kit which you can order through the aforementioned store. It should also include the proper connector for India when you purchase a power cord in India. If it doesn't, talk to their customer service. This is just an end user forum.

Jul 21, 2023 5:47 AM in response to a brody

I don't think you have understood the significance of my question.

The poster has asked about the use of an AC plug. However, the answers that have been given have all related to the charger, rather than the plug. The poster has emphasised that it is the plug that is being asked about by posting a photo with the plug highlighted.

In Australia normal AC plugs are rated at 10 amps. That is not the power that will be used, but the maximum power that the plug can safety carry. So my question was simply checking whether the 10W in the original question should really have been 10 amps — in other words, a standard mains plug (assuming that 10 amps is the standard in India).

Even if the poster did mean 10W, the question being asked is not whether a 10W power adapter would be suitable, but whether an AC plug from a 10W adapter can be used with a power adapter for a 2017 MacBook Air.

Apple MagSafe 2 Power Adapter

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.