Can’t install macOS

Hello,

I have tried to reset my MacBook Pro 2017 which had Monterey installed

I used disk utility to format the disks, the laptop then crashed and after restarting I have to boot into internet recovery mode

When attempting to reinstall macOS Sierra I can select my disk and then it starts to install the OS, once the installation is complete I get the error “An error occurred while preparing the installation. try running this application again.

I tried to some diagnosis and noticed the drives were formatted with APFS which I believe isn’t compatible with Sierra - I then erased those partitions and created a new one which is Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - photo attached

however I am still getting the same error when installing and now I am a bit stuck on what to do - I have tried restarting and formatting the disks again yet nothing seems to work

I can only boot into internet recovery mode

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.3

Posted on May 9, 2023 1:57 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 9, 2023 6:58 PM

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

Upgrade to the latest macOS compatible with your Mac.

APFS won't work for Sierra, Sierra needs MacOS Extended Journaled.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254793247?answerId=258936149022#258936149022

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 9, 2023 6:58 PM in response to Billybrunger

1. Start up from macOS Recovery

Option-⌘-R

APFS won't work for Sierra, Sierra needs MacOS Extended Journaled.

What has often worked for others is to use this Restore Method instead of CMD+r keys...

Option-⌘-R

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/254793247?answerId=258936149022#258936149022

Can’t install macOS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.