You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

iPadOS 18 is now available

Explore new ways to work with Apple Pencil, discover new experiences in apps, and customize iPad even further. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I force my iPad to open apps in a full window as default

This is a bit hard to explain, but a few days ago (no update) will open up an app in a window mode, not using the full screen. I notice that there is a small semi-circle in the bottom right of my screen.

By pressing and holding this semi-circle, I can resize the apps window space.

This started happening a few days ago. While I don't mind this function at all, it's annoying because often when I switch or open up an app, it doesn't take up the whole screen, but about 80%. I notice that I can easily select other apps that are open since the icons are visible, but I would rather the default setting that the app takes up the while space.

I can force the app to take up the whole space by pressing an holding the semi-circle and then pulling it down and to the right, but it's quite annoying to have to do this all the time whenever I switch an app.

So, I guess my question is how can I force my iPad to open apps using the full screen and not just a partial screen?

iPad 2, iOS 9

Posted on May 9, 2023 7:12 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 10, 2023 8:22 AM

As described, you have enabled the iPadOS16 Stage Manager feature.

With Stage Manager enabled, you will see the new Windowed UI (User Interface) - and with this you will have different controls for the windows. The white “handle” that you describe is used to resize the related App window; while Stage Manager is active, you cannot hide these elements of the UI.

With Stage Manager disabled (arguably, this being the far more useful mode when using the iPad without a connected external monitor), you will see the established Full, Split and Slide-over views listed and accessible from the three-dot button. In this mode, you will not see the handles of which you complain.

Stage Manager can be disabled (or enabled) from iPad settings:

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Stage Manager on iPad - set to OFF

The Stage Manager feature can also be simply enabled/disabled from the iPad Control Centre.

10 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 10, 2023 8:22 AM in response to Jonobugs

As described, you have enabled the iPadOS16 Stage Manager feature.

With Stage Manager enabled, you will see the new Windowed UI (User Interface) - and with this you will have different controls for the windows. The white “handle” that you describe is used to resize the related App window; while Stage Manager is active, you cannot hide these elements of the UI.

With Stage Manager disabled (arguably, this being the far more useful mode when using the iPad without a connected external monitor), you will see the established Full, Split and Slide-over views listed and accessible from the three-dot button. In this mode, you will not see the handles of which you complain.

Stage Manager can be disabled (or enabled) from iPad settings:

Settings > Home Screen & Multitasking > Stage Manager > Use Stage Manager on iPad - set to OFF

The Stage Manager feature can also be simply enabled/disabled from the iPad Control Centre.

Mar 24, 2024 11:32 AM in response to SRSM

SRSM wrote:

For Apple to impose this as default is one of the stupidest things they have ever done. Whoever thought it was a good idea should be fired for their bad judgment.

iPadOS Multitasking has developed considerably since the release of iPadOS 16.

For iPadOS 17.x, you can disable Stage Manager from iPad settings:

Settings > Multitasking & Gestures > [Multitasking] - select OFF or Split & Slide Over

Oct 27, 2023 1:48 AM in response to Swilliams98

Swilliams98 wrote:

Is there a reason I don’t have the stage manager option in my settings (iPad 9th gen) I’m having the same issues but don’t have that option.

Due to limitations of internal hardware, the Stage Manager feature is only available for these models of iPad:

• iPad Air (5th generation)
  • iPad Pro 11-inch (all generations)
  • iPad Pro 12.9-inch (3rd generation and later)

Feature availability is usually limited by system hardware - CPU and available RAM being critical to some advanced functionality.

iPad models supporting Stage Manager have an M2, M1 or A12X CPU (upon which the M-series CPUs are reportedly based) - with at least 8GB RAM. The iPad Air4 has only 4GB RAM.

How do I force my iPad to open apps in a full window as default

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.