Using Preview to adjust photo to a specific size

I am using Big Sur 11.4 on a 2017 iMac

I have a photo that I would like to print as an 8x10. This site doesn't show me the image that will be printed. I thought the photo would be the same image as displayed on the iMac in Preview, but it automatically crops the photo for me and it isn't what I would like. I would like to crop the photo myself or have the full image print ideally. The photo dimension is 3000 x 1489.

I have googled and watched YouTube, but I can't seem to find this specific scenario. I have looked at Tools and adjust size, but get confused at that point.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

iMac 27″, macOS 10.13

Posted on May 10, 2023 8:01 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 7:34 AM

If I've understood your point correctly, the image you are trying to print is 3000px x 1489px, and you want the image to be printed in the resolution 8px x 10px. The only way this would be possible is if you use an image processor such as Photoshop, or other free alternatives.

If you wish to use Photoshop, you can set the background image to be the same size as the paper you are printing on - most likely A4, and then with the ruler scale your image to the preferred 8px x 10px size.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 7:34 AM in response to great googily moogily

If I've understood your point correctly, the image you are trying to print is 3000px x 1489px, and you want the image to be printed in the resolution 8px x 10px. The only way this would be possible is if you use an image processor such as Photoshop, or other free alternatives.

If you wish to use Photoshop, you can set the background image to be the same size as the paper you are printing on - most likely A4, and then with the ruler scale your image to the preferred 8px x 10px size.

Using Preview to adjust photo to a specific size

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.