Update old Mac to get shared photos

Hello, I need to update my Mac because I will not be able to see shared library photos on there with macOS Monterey or earlier, but my Mac is “old” (from 2015) that it won’t let me update it. Is there a way around this so that I can get my photos?

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 11, 2023 4:12 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 4:28 AM

System Requirements for macOS 13 Ventura does not list this computer to Qualify for Ventura sorry to confirm this fact

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support (CA)

If the user whats the latest and greatest versions of macOS,  all is not lost.

Explore the Apple Trade-In  Process where the Value of the exiting device could be used against the cost of a new Apple Computer, iPhone or iPad  

This computer may have some or possible no Value but at least it would be recycled in a responsible way by Apple

Or Shop Refurbished Apple computers at an Apple Reduced Cost

Have used both previously and have been satisfied each time.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 11, 2023 4:28 AM in response to Jacmasta

System Requirements for macOS 13 Ventura does not list this computer to Qualify for Ventura sorry to confirm this fact

macOS Ventura is compatible with these computers - Apple Support (CA)

If the user whats the latest and greatest versions of macOS,  all is not lost.

Explore the Apple Trade-In  Process where the Value of the exiting device could be used against the cost of a new Apple Computer, iPhone or iPad  

This computer may have some or possible no Value but at least it would be recycled in a responsible way by Apple

Or Shop Refurbished Apple computers at an Apple Reduced Cost

Have used both previously and have been satisfied each time.

May 11, 2023 5:13 AM in response to PRP_53

That is sad news after spending thousands of dollars you would think it would last you until it no longer works.

I may have to go through importing all my photos from my phone onto my computer like the good old days via the usb cord.

Thanks for your information though and helpful links. I dislike being forced into buying another product.

But wouldn’t the photos still upload to icloud even though I have an old computer? I could technically download from icloud right? Even though my mac won’t sync shared photos, I can grab the shared photos from icloud

May 11, 2023 7:29 AM in response to Jacmasta

Jacmasta wrote:

That is sad news after spending thousands of dollars you would think it would last you until it no longer works.

It may last that long, until total failure.

Then what if it fails and can not be repaired ?

The Cost of repairs would probably be out of pocket. That is IF the replacement parts are even available.

I may have to go through importing all my photos from my phone onto my computer like the good old days via the usb cord.

Thanks for your information though and helpful links. I dislike being forced into buying another product.

No one is forcing the user to do anything. That is a users choice.

But wouldn’t the photos still upload to icloud even though I have an old computer?

Yes and provide the User has enabled iCloud and Photos in iCloud.

I could technically download from icloud right?

Yes

Update old Mac to get shared photos

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.