unable to turn wifi and bluetooth on

wifi and bluetooth greyed out iPhone 12 Pro max

Posted on May 11, 2023 9:34 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Mar 21, 2024 6:40 AM

Suddenly, I can’t turn on my wifi and bluetooth. It’s kinda depressing because the technician told me that this is because of the update. I have updated my iphone to ios 17.4. However, I can’t use my wifi and bluetooth anymore, I can only use my cellular data. Help please🥹

18 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Mar 21, 2024 6:40 AM in response to Axel Foley

Suddenly, I can’t turn on my wifi and bluetooth. It’s kinda depressing because the technician told me that this is because of the update. I have updated my iphone to ios 17.4. However, I can’t use my wifi and bluetooth anymore, I can only use my cellular data. Help please🥹

May 11, 2023 11:12 AM in response to marcecanton

(1) Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(2)  If that does not help, then you may have a hardware issue, please contact 👉 Official Apple Support OR you can always get your iPhone examined at the Apple Store 👉 Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnosis and a resolution.

Axel F.

Nov 1, 2023 7:33 AM in response to marcecanton

Perform a Forced Restart on the phone. Follow the instructions very carefully, as this is a bit tricky. You may need to repeat this several times.

Force restart iPhone - Apple Support

There are only 2 possible results when you perform a Forced Restart:

1) The phone returns to normal operation.....or, if not.....

2) There is a hardware problem with the phone that will need attention at the Apple Store (make an appointment) or take the phone to an authorized Apple Service shop.

You can find a list of authorized service shops in your area using the link just below:

Find Locations

May 23, 2024 11:14 AM in response to Nicky678

I had the same issue and here is how I fixed it: Hard reset and resetting the network settings didn't work in my case

1. Backup phone
  2. Erase all data and reset as if you're giving your phone away
  3. Go through the setup process and you will notice the wifi will be working MAKE SURE YOU CONNECT TO WIFI(if you don't wifi and bluetooth will still be greyed out once you complete setup)
  4. Once the phone is back verify the wifi and bluetooth are working
  5. Restore your backup
  6. Go into Bluetooth and forget any connection you are not using

Note: this happened to me after connecting to phone link on windows 11 and updating to IOS 17.5.1 my phone randomly disable wifi and bluetooth and reboot. In my technical opinion it seemed like the bluetooth device list was corrupted and since the wifi and BT are the same chip it prevented it from starting.. Good luck hope this helps

Apr 22, 2024 9:16 AM in response to I9_

My iPhone has suddenly stopped connecting to WiFi & Bluetooth. I can’t even turn them on. I’ve got mobile data (when that connects) I noticed my phone turned itself on/off about 2-3 times before I noticed WiFi not connecting.

This is infuriating as I can’t find any info how to get it to work, it’s seem that the resent update 17.4.1 has caused some issues.

if anyone knows how to rectify please let me know. Many thanks.

May 1, 2024 10:31 PM in response to IreDan4321

(1) Try and Force Restart your iPhone EXACTLY as shown below and see whether that resolves the issue:

• Press and quickly release Volume UP button
  • Press and quickly release Volume DOWN button
  • Press and Hold the SIDE button until an Apple logo appears and then release the Side button (Can take up to 20 seconds. (DO NOT release Side Button when invited to Slide Power OFF). 

(2)  If that does not help, then you may have a hardware issue, please contact 👉 Official Apple Support OR you can always get your iPhone examined at the Apple Store 👉 Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options or at an Authorized Service Center for further diagnosis and a resolution.

Axel F.

Jun 11, 2024 9:51 PM in response to marcecanton

I’ve been going crazy with this for a few days. I’m using a 12 pro and iOS 17.5.1 and it randomly freezes on multiple apps including socials, gps, and even just safari. After it reboots the wifi and bt are greyed out. I turn them on but they go instantly off. I then do a hard reboot and it works again. Sometimes it goes hours between having to do this and sometimes minutes. I’m not sure if this is hardware failure caused by the update or what. I guess I’ll take it in to see but I hope the solution isn’t a new phone.

unable to turn wifi and bluetooth on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.