You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail App

Why is my mail app not notifying me unless I put my phone on charge?

Also, please let me know the thread if this question has already been asked!

Thanks!

iPhone 13 Pro, iOS 16

Posted on May 11, 2023 11:00 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 11, 2023 11:30 AM

In addition, note that only Microsoft Exchange and iCloud email addresses support push notifications, and thus are the only accounts that can notify in near real time. Gmail will also notify using Push, but only if you have the gmail app instead of or in addition to Apple Mail. And for all notifications you need to have a cellular network connection, as Push uses the cellular control channel to notify the phone of updates.

For other mail accounts you can enable Fetch in their settings in Settings/Mail/Accounts. This will periodically get mail on a schedule you choose, but it is not real time.

8 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 11, 2023 11:30 AM in response to genius_got_questions

In addition, note that only Microsoft Exchange and iCloud email addresses support push notifications, and thus are the only accounts that can notify in near real time. Gmail will also notify using Push, but only if you have the gmail app instead of or in addition to Apple Mail. And for all notifications you need to have a cellular network connection, as Push uses the cellular control channel to notify the phone of updates.

For other mail accounts you can enable Fetch in their settings in Settings/Mail/Accounts. This will periodically get mail on a schedule you choose, but it is not real time.

May 11, 2023 6:19 PM in response to LD150

LD150 wrote:

Interested: How is that situation affected by being on charge as opposed to not on charge?

Good question. Having it plugged in will enable Wi-Fi when the screen is locked. It still won’t be able to receive SS7 notifications, but I don’t know how Wi-Fi Calling affects that if it is enabled. That might be able to route the notifications through Wi-Fi calling. It would be difficult to test, however.

May 12, 2023 3:40 AM in response to Lawrence Finch

I can't replicate their problem with my Outlook, or other mail regarding on/off charger or full/low power mode.

My Outlook mail notifies just the same whether at home or out the house, Wifi or cellular on any power setting.

icloud mail will not notify in low power mode but plugging in the charger makes no difference.

I do find that whatever setting I have in Notifications, Mail, they are still overridden in Customise Notifications (at the bottom of mail notifications) settings for each account.

Mail App

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.