Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to back up macbook pro to WD My Passport for Mac

My old backup disk is full. So, I got a 2TB My Passport for Mac from WD.

I plugged it in and installed the utility. But when I went in to Time Machine and asked it to back up now, I received the message Backup Disk Not Available.

• Why am I getting that message? Is that because I have used another backup disk to backup before?

Then, after looking on the internet to try to figure it out, I went in to Time Machine on Preferences and tried to select my new disk. When I did that, and picked the new disk, I received the question:

"Do you want to stop backing up to "WD Time Machine" and use "My Passport for Mac" instead, or

back up to both? If you use both, Time Machine will take turns backing up to "WD Time Machine"

and "My Passport for Mac.""

I don't know the implications from either choice, so I decided to ask here.

I would appreciate help on this.

Thank you

MacBook Pro 15″, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 11, 2023 7:47 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 8:33 AM

Don't mind at all, in fact it is always the thing to do! my friend :)

You don't need WD Utilities, MacOS handles the drive quite nicely, without interference.

Use High Dirra reference here...

Erase a volume using Disk Utility on Mac - Apple Support

Most WD drives come formatted for Windows®, we need it formatted for Macs.

15 replies

May 12, 2023 7:16 AM in response to scutarius

BD

Thank you. I hope you don't mind helping with a follow-up question, because I don't understand it all.

I believe I know how to uninstall the WD Utility App, but will you let me know why? I like to understand what I am doing.

Then, I don't understand what "...erase the drive to MacOS Extended Journaled" means. ... I know what "erase the drive" means, but I don't understand the "... to MacOS Extended Journaled" part.

Also, will you say why the drive needs to be erased? Again, I like to understand why I do things. Plus, its confusing because that drive has "My Passport for Mac" on it, so I thought it would come out of the box all set up already.

Thank you again. I hope you don't mind the extra questions.

WES

May 15, 2023 6:20 AM in response to BDAqua

I don't know what format it was. I looked for an indication when I erased it, but did not see it.

So, I did uninstall WD Utilities and erased the new My Passport for Mac (the New Disk).

But when I went into Time Machine to select the New Disk, I still got the message:

"Do you want to stop backing up to "WD Time Machine" and use "My Passport for Mac" instead, or

back up to both? If you use both, Time Machine will take turns backing up to "WD Time Machine"

and "My Passport for Mac.""

I still don't know the implications from either choice. BD Aqua, or anyone, will you let me know?

Should I replace Time Machine? Or use both?

If I choose "replace Time Machine", how will that affect the previous backups I have done on another drive? I want to keep that as a redundant backup.

Thanks again.

Feb 24, 2024 11:31 AM in response to scutarius

I have a 2018 MacBook Pro running Sonoma 14.1.1. I had a WD G-drive but it doesn't have the capacity to back up the 1TB hard drive in Time Machine. It used to work fine when I had used less of the hard drive.

I bought a WD My Passport for Mac Ultra 4TB. I am having the same types of problems getting it recognized by Time Machine. Time Machine still recognized the G-Drive (still insufficient capacity, but recognized). Finder shows My Passport but Time Machine gives the message "No Available Time Machine Destinations. Connect a suitable external drive or network storage device."

Reading other posts, I erased my G-Drive. I cleared Login Items. I rebooted. Same message.

Help?

How to back up macbook pro to WD My Passport for Mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.