Time Machine using free space on external HDD?

I recently found a WD My Passport Ultra for Mac 2TB w/ 1TB of old files stored on it. (https://www.westerndigital.com/products/portable-drives/wd-my-passport-ultra-for-mac-usb-c-hdd) I tried using this portable HDD as my TM backup on my iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015) running macOS Monterey 12.6.5, but my iMac told me to reformat the disk. I read that TM on my iMac doesn’t require the entire disk, but I’m at a loss on how to reformat the free space for use as a TM backup. Is this possible? Backing up 1TB to Dropbox is slow.

iMac 27″, macOS 12.6

Posted on May 11, 2023 9:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 3:42 AM

... Is this possible?

No. Follow the instructions for setting up a new TM disk in Back up your files with Time Machine on Mac - Apple Support.

Similar questions

4 replies

May 11, 2023 10:29 PM in response to hawkejd1982

Yes, it is possible to use the free space on your external HDD for Time Machine backups, but you will need to reformat the disk to a compatible file system. Time Machine requires a specific file system format called "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)" or "APFS" (Apple File System) for macOS 10.13 High Sierra and later.

Before proceeding with the reformatting process, please note that reformatting will erase all the data on the external HDD. Therefore, it's essential to make sure you have a backup of any important data on the drive before proceeding. Here's how you can reformat the disk and use it for Time Machine backups:

1. Connect the external HDD to your iMac.

2. Open "Disk Utility." You can find it by going to "Applications" > "Utilities" > "Disk Utility."

3. In Disk Utility, you should see a list of available drives on the left-hand side. Select your external HDD from the list.

4. Click on the "Erase" button at the top of the Disk Utility window.

5. In the erase dialog box, choose the desired format for the disk. If your iMac is running macOS Monterey, it is recommended to select "APFS" as the format. If you're running an older version of macOS, choose "Mac OS Extended (Journaled)."

6. Give your disk a name, and then click on the "Erase" button to begin the reformatting process. Please be aware that this will erase all data on the drive.

7. Once the reformatting process is complete, you can close Disk Utility.

8. Go to "System Preferences" on your iMac.

9. Click on "Time Machine."

10. Click the lock icon at the bottom-left corner of the Time Machine preferences window and enter your administrator password to unlock the settings.

11. Click on "Select Backup Disk."

12. You should see your newly formatted external HDD listed. Select it and click on "Use Disk."

13. Time Machine will now use the available free space on your external HDD for backups.

Remember to keep your external HDD connected to your iMac if you want Time Machine to perform regular automatic backups.

Jun 1, 2023 9:54 AM in response to hawkejd1982

All space on a drive is free space until it's used then it's not free space.

Best practice for a TM backup drive is to dedicate an external drive to a Mac.

You may can use the "free" space for other things but that's discouraged. As time passes the TM drive will begin to fill up. But, TM has logic to remove the oldest data to make space for newer data. That's a major reason it's often recommended the TM drive be a dedicated one 2-3x the size of your drive being backed up.

Time Machine using free space on external HDD?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.