Dropped calls when selecting menu options

Hi. My iPhone 11 drops calls when I try to choose menu options. This is a recent occurrence but it happens each time now. For example, I call a doctor’s office and immediately reach a menu of options to select among. When I touch any number, the call fails. The carrier says it's nothing to do with them. Any suggestions?

Posted on May 11, 2023 11:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 14, 2023 4:58 PM

Hi willycoggers,

The feature you're describing is known as DTMF, or Dual Tone Multi Frequency. When functioning, pressing the number on your keypad transmits that data to your carrier to generate the proper tone on the call for the menus you've described.

One test you can complete is to try to press keypad numbers during a standard call to see if the behavior persists when not in an automated menu.

If your carrier is not able to assist further, you may consult Apple Support directly for further research and isolation of this.

Regards.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 14, 2023 4:58 PM in response to willycoggers

Hi willycoggers,

The feature you're describing is known as DTMF, or Dual Tone Multi Frequency. When functioning, pressing the number on your keypad transmits that data to your carrier to generate the proper tone on the call for the menus you've described.

One test you can complete is to try to press keypad numbers during a standard call to see if the behavior persists when not in an automated menu.

If your carrier is not able to assist further, you may consult Apple Support directly for further research and isolation of this.

Regards.

Dropped calls when selecting menu options

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.