copying photos library to external HD

How do I copy my full Photos library to a WD My Passport 4TB external hard drive

iMac 21.5″, macOS 11.7

Posted on May 12, 2023 8:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 8:25 AM

If you're using iCloud to sync your devices, then you can just set up a new empty Library on the hard drive, designate it as the System Library (in Photo>Settings) and then wait for iCloud Photos to download to the new library. Be very patient-- it could take days or weeks, depending on the size of the Library.

If you're not using iCloud, you can just drag your Library to the hard drive-- then double click on it. To get full functionality (and to avoid damaging the Photos Library) an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Additionally, the volume can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted. See this:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2023 8:25 AM in response to eyewy

If you're using iCloud to sync your devices, then you can just set up a new empty Library on the hard drive, designate it as the System Library (in Photo>Settings) and then wait for iCloud Photos to download to the new library. Be very patient-- it could take days or weeks, depending on the size of the Library.

If you're not using iCloud, you can just drag your Library to the hard drive-- then double click on it. To get full functionality (and to avoid damaging the Photos Library) an external drive must be formatted in either APFS format or Mac OS Extended (Journaled) format. Additionally, the volume can not have had Time Machine on it since it was formatted. See this:

Move your Photos library to save space on your Mac - Apple Support

copying photos library to external HD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.