I got flashing security warning with an ‘Apple’ logo asking me to call

I got flashing security warning with an ‘Apple’ logo asking me to call 1-***-***-7900. I called but hung up after a few minutes. I think it was a scam. But looked very real.

[Edited by Moderator]

iPad mini, iOS 12

Posted on May 12, 2023 9:20 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 9:23 AM

Any and all such notices that appear on a web page, a popup from one, as an email or text message are ALL scams. Do not ever contact them.

Now that you have called and they have your phone number, expect to get lots of related scam calls. When you realize what the call is about, hang up immediately. Do not talk to them for even a few seconds.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2023 9:23 AM in response to Twogillums

Any and all such notices that appear on a web page, a popup from one, as an email or text message are ALL scams. Do not ever contact them.

Now that you have called and they have your phone number, expect to get lots of related scam calls. When you realize what the call is about, hang up immediately. Do not talk to them for even a few seconds.

May 12, 2023 9:23 AM in response to Twogillums

Than is very un-Apple-like.

Scams (e-mail, text messages, and phone calls) are getting very good at closely imitating true Apple communications. Always be cautious. These support articles have some guidelines:

About identifying legitimate emails from the App Store and iTunes Store --> Identify legitimate emails from the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Recognize and avoid phishing messages, phony support calls, and other scams - Apple Support

Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash --> Avoid scams when you use Apple Cash - Apple Support

Apple 'How to identify, avoid, and report phishing' video--> https://youtu.be/SR3Z3fXXjfw

If you are uncertain about a message and a resource provided in that message, do not click on any links in the message. Try to independently verify the resource by going to a support page on apple.com and use that to contact Apple or to verify with the service the message is telling you to use.

I got flashing security warning with an ‘Apple’ logo asking me to call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.