Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up the ipad? Target disc mode?

How do you start up the iPad in target disc mode? I want to use Superduper to clone a disc image of the iPad for backup.

dual 2.7 G5 (8G RAM); 2.6GHz MBP (4G RAM, 48G SSD 500G HD); 1GHz TiBook (1G RAM), Mac OS X (10.6.3), Water cooled G5's rule!

Posted on Aug 18, 2010 12:10 PM

9 replies

Aug 18, 2010 12:17 PM in response to Jim Newhouser1

iTunes backups cover the apps, their placement on your home screen and depending on the app the data it has. Somethings such as settings, game saves or data might not be backed up. If you automatically sync music or movies that setup will also be saved. If you manually add music/movies, what you have stored on the iPad will not be backed up. Backups generally happen every time you sync your iPad.

Aug 18, 2010 12:28 PM in response to a Mac user

OK, if I understand correctly...
to save:
1. Sync iPad to iTunes
2. clone HD (including iTunes folder)
to restore:
1. restore HD from saved image
2. Sync iPad to iTunes

Yes?
Alright, this is OK.

OK, found the apps in ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications
So... any app stored there will be uploaded into the iPad when you run sync?

Next bonus question:
How do you eliminate iTunes from this connection scheme? This is a little too kludgey for my tastes. I want to connect directly to the iPad's HD.

Aug 22, 2010 8:38 PM in response to a Mac user

Are you saying that there's data (an app in my case) on the iPad that cannot be restored no matter what? In other words, syncing to the laptop doesn't copy everything to ~/Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/Mobile Applications?
So in my theory...
to save:
1. Sync iPad to iTunes <- this doesn't copy everything
2. clone HD (including iTunes folder)
to restore:
1. restore HD from saved image
2. Sync iPad to iTunes <- so this will not restore it

So... how then? Some expensive service Apple offers? I'm not liking these answers... but I'll take whatever answers I can get.

Aug 23, 2010 1:08 PM in response to Jim Newhouser1

I'm intrigued by how you plan to use the iPad, Jim. I saw in another post that you were planning to use it 99% of the time as a remote control for your MBP, and that sounded interesting.

Regarding your question here, I understand your feelings. I have an iPod and have used it in disc mode to transfer files. I have also been able to connect BlackBerry and Windows ME phones to my computer and use them in disc mode to transfer files. I was quite surprised that the iPad does not do this.

In order to use the iPad in a sort of disc mode-like operation, you need to get an app that supports it. For example, GoodReader is very useful in this respect. It's only 99 cents in the App Store, and it does all kinds of cool stuff with files. You can transfer files to/from GoodReader through iTunes or connecting directly to your MPB (or other computer) via FTP or wireless.

Based on your questions, GoodReader's not likely to do quite everything you'd like it to do, but it may well give you a leg up toward at least part of your goals.

As for your process flow and backing up, you have the right idea. Your apps will be backed up via the process you described - and for the iPad, Apple has a workflow that enables you to reinstall apps that somehow get lost without you having to pay for them again. But, no, you won't be able to SuperDuper! clone your iPad or access your apps' data directly for the most part without possibly jailbreaking the iPad - which would void your shiny new warranty.

Aug 24, 2010 9:15 AM in response to lisfolks

Hey, thanks for the response. I think the workarounds will be OK for now. Hopefully in the future Apple will clean this up and add target disc mode and so forth. Basically I bought this as a remote control for my MBP. I'm starting to do live mixing on the MBP with Studio One using wireless USB and midi controllers. The iPad will let me see the screen and get at the remaining controls (the midi stuff is 90% of it). The internet browsing and everything else the iPad is advertised for is lost on me because... I have a MBP which is obviously much nicer for all that. iTeleport is likely the only iPad app I'll ever use.

Backing up the ipad? Target disc mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.