Siri seems to run in the background on my iPad

Is there anyway to have someone or thing look at my iPad analytics to tell me what’s going on with it. It’s like Siri seems to run in the background or something. I have tried but nothing. Now it’s like they have prevented it from charging. I know this seems far fetch but so,e one please help!

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPad Air, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 12, 2023 1:02 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 12, 2023 2:47 PM

Siri will always be running in the background - unless you selectively disable two of its functions:

Settings > Siri & Search >

• Listen for “Hey Siri” - set to OFF
  • Allow Siri When Locked - set to OFF

With these two settings set to OFF, Siri will only be active when manually triggered by pressing the Top (Sleep/Wake) button - this being (a) significantly more secure in not having an active “hot microphone” - and (b) is more power efficient.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 12, 2023 2:47 PM in response to 4SoloDolo2508

Siri will always be running in the background - unless you selectively disable two of its functions:

Settings > Siri & Search >

• Listen for “Hey Siri” - set to OFF
  • Allow Siri When Locked - set to OFF

With these two settings set to OFF, Siri will only be active when manually triggered by pressing the Top (Sleep/Wake) button - this being (a) significantly more secure in not having an active “hot microphone” - and (b) is more power efficient.

May 29, 2023 4:52 PM in response to 4SoloDolo2508

I'm having a similar issue, too, with Siri being on despite taking steps to turn it completely and utterly off.

I have noise canceling headphones that I use on my iPad (for Duolingo lessons - it really helps you concentrate on the inflection and tone, i find). I use a wired connection, but if I turn on the headphones, without the wire hooked up, the Siri logo on my iPad comes on, as if it were trying to make a connection. It will disappear once I made the wired connection.

This happened, even though I had taken the following steps:

• Under Settings > Siri and Search: I had turned off "Listen for Siri", "Press Home for Siri", "Allow Siri when Locked"
  • Under Settings: I went down to the listing of Apps, and under each individual one, I turned off "Allow App to access 'Siri & Search'". Doing that for each individual App took a long time!

Any suggestions of where else Siri might be unwittingly and unknowingly active on an iPad? I fear it is unescapable. Also, for what it is worth, I keep Bluetooth off. Always off.

May 12, 2023 1:17 PM in response to 4SoloDolo2508

Siri is always running in the background. How else would it respond when you say "Siri"? The app can't be closed and respond at the same time.

There are dozens of processes running all the time. Such as the function that tracks which cell tower to connect to as you move from one area to another. It can't connect to one and just stick with it. As soon as you were out of range, you'd have no ability to make or receive a call. Automatically moving from one cell tower to the next is how you can freely move about.

In relation to that, the phone is always talking to the cell's satellite system. If it didn't, you'd have no GPS coordinates and an app like Maps would have no clue where you are.

Now it’s like they have prevented it from charging.

Who do you think is "they"?

Siri seems to run in the background on my iPad

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.