Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Bluetooth.plist file not generating

In December 2022, someone posted this question, but no answer was provided. I have the same problem and would really appreciate an answer. Not being able to connect ANYTHING via Bluetooth is very frustrating. Ever since I updated the OS to Monterey, Bluetooth is completely disabled on my MacBook Pro.

"I tried to delete Bluetooth.plist files from ~Library/Preferences but turns out it is already missing. And restarting the Mac is not generating these files. I also tried resetting the SMC but to no avail. Please help !! I am not able to use bluetooth even with a MacOs supported dongle because of it."

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 12.4

Posted on May 13, 2023 9:47 AM

14 replies

May 21, 2023 7:42 PM in response to OliveRidley

Anybody? I've got a 2015 iMac 27 that I fresh-installed Monterey onto. Bluetooth won't turn on. I've reset SMC, PRAM, tried to delete the plist files, but -- as with the author of this thread -- there are no bluetooth plist files to delete, even after multiple reboots (and resets and etc.). I've run the terminal commands to try to reset the bluetooth module. Nothing has helped. I tried installing an alternative method -- Tooth Fairy -- but it reports "no bluetooth hardware found."

It should be noted that bluetooth was fine under a previous installation of Catalina. It died on the update to Monterey (which is why I tried repartitioning the disk and reinstalling without success).

I've also already tried creating a new account, because I know an Apple slappy will tell me to try that. That also did not result in the generation of bluetooth plist files, nor did it allow me to turn bluetooth on.

It is literally as if Monterey just cannot see the bluetooth module. Though it does show up in system profiler, and displays some hardware information, it has an address of "NULL" and a state of "Off." Chipset is BCM-4350C2 and "discoverable" is "off."

Any other things to try here?

Jun 14, 2023 10:50 AM in response to OliveRidley

i'm having this same issue but on ventura, i've tried connecting a bluetooth dongle (several different ones actually) and none work - i've downloaded bluetooth explorer and under Host Controller my only option is 'none' regardless of what usb i have plugged in. i did a windows partition and the bluetooth usbs worked on that.

on bluetooth explorer i get the error: updateChainPower error: -3903

no plists, tried all the recommended tests. a dongle was my last hope but even the ones other people use no issue with mac don't work. tried everything but updating to an old os but the mac has had this bluetooth issue for about 2 years now...

if anyone gets any further please update me, i'm open to trying anything at this point but can't take laptop in for repairs as i need it for work daily.

Feb 23, 2024 9:59 AM in response to OliveRidley

Nearly one year later this annoying Bluetooth (BT) issue still persists on my two refurbished MacBooks (2015, 13" and 15" respectively), running Monterey 12.7.3. No BT device is visible in the BT control panel (system settings). I tried all possible remedies suggested elsewhere (SMC reset, NVRAM reset, BT module reset), without any effect whatsoever. Surprisingly, on a third refurbished MacBook I own- a 2017 MB Air- also running Monterey 12.7.3. , Bluetooth does function normally. In the preference list the com.apple.Bluetooth.plist shows up, on the 2015 MacBooks it is absent, as OliveRidley found out previously. I copied the preference file from the MB Air to both 2015 MB's, hoping that this would restore BT functionality: it did not! So that leaves me with two MB's on which BT completely fails. Very frustrating indeed.

Bluetooth.plist file not generating

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.