Download an earlier version of MacOS on a Mac with later OS

When I try to download an earlier version of MacOS on my Mac that has OS Ventura, I get this message. "Install macOS Monterey" cannot be opened from a newer version of MacOS. For more info visit: https://support.apple.com/HT2011372

If I wanted to create a bootable OS on ext drive to install on another Mac how can I obtain a copy? In trying to wipe the Mac ready for sale I have managed to wipe the OS and now get the folder with a ? on start up! I have tried all the Key combinations on Start Up and all result in failure including the revolving world asking for WiFi settings which run for a while then stop.

MacBook Air 13″

Posted on May 13, 2023 9:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 13, 2023 9:49 PM

gop1947 wrote:

When I try to download an earlier version of MacOS on my Mac that has OS Ventura, I get this message. "Install macOS Monterey" cannot be opened from a newer version of MacOS.

Well it's true it can't be opened. However, once quit, "Install macOS Monterey" should be in the Applications folder and can be used to create a USB Bootable Installer.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Similar questions

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 13, 2023 9:49 PM in response to gop1947

gop1947 wrote:

When I try to download an earlier version of MacOS on my Mac that has OS Ventura, I get this message. "Install macOS Monterey" cannot be opened from a newer version of MacOS.

Well it's true it can't be opened. However, once quit, "Install macOS Monterey" should be in the Applications folder and can be used to create a USB Bootable Installer.

Create a bootable installer for macOS - Apple Support

Download an earlier version of MacOS on a Mac with later OS

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.