You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

📢 Newsroom Update

The new iPad mini is available today. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I download my photos saved on my iPad to a Portable Hard drive without using a PC.

Can I download my photos saved on my iPad 9 to a Portable Hard drive without using a PC. I will be travelling across Europe and do not want to take a laptop with me so will have the iPad to save the photos from my Sony camera.

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 15, 2023 10:38 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 10:51 AM

Yes. You can use a Lightning to USB adapter to connect an external drive to the iPad.

The external drive may need to be powered though. The iPad may not have enough juice to power a mechanical external drive on its own, so the drive would need its own power supply you can plug into the wall or a battery pack independent of the iPad. SSDs may work without an external power supply.

click here ➜ Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 15, 2023 10:51 AM in response to huw210

Yes. You can use a Lightning to USB adapter to connect an external drive to the iPad.

The external drive may need to be powered though. The iPad may not have enough juice to power a mechanical external drive on its own, so the drive would need its own power supply you can plug into the wall or a battery pack independent of the iPad. SSDs may work without an external power supply.

click here ➜ Connect external storage devices to iPad - Apple Support

Can I download my photos saved on my iPad to a Portable Hard drive without using a PC.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.