Related Article: Apple security releases

How can I update my iPhone without a WiFi network

iPhone 7 Plus, iOS 14

Posted on May 15, 2023 3:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 15, 2023 6:08 PM

Hello,

There are different ways to ensure the highest iOS that your device will support is installed on your device. Since you cannot do so wirelessly you can use Mac and PC computers to update system software. Read this support article:

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date (and can't go any higher) and won't install anything. If you want to run a higher system version than your current device is capable of running, you need to buy a newer device.

Your iPhone 7 will currently update as far as iOS 15.7.5

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 15, 2023 6:08 PM in response to ezinna16

Hello,

There are different ways to ensure the highest iOS that your device will support is installed on your device. Since you cannot do so wirelessly you can use Mac and PC computers to update system software. Read this support article:

Update iOS on iPhone - Apple Support

When updating, your device will update to the highest version currently available that it will support, or it will just say it is up to date (and can't go any higher) and won't install anything. If you want to run a higher system version than your current device is capable of running, you need to buy a newer device.

Your iPhone 7 will currently update as far as iOS 15.7.5

May 15, 2023 5:24 PM in response to ezinna16

The tags appended to your post suggest that you have an iPhone7. The iPhone7 can be updated to iOS 15.7.5 - but cannot be updated to iOS 16.x.

If your iPhone is capable of update to a more recent version of iOS than is currently installed, these support pages outline both the available methods by which the update can be performed - and troubleshooting should you experience difficulties:

Update your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If you can't update or restore your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch – Apple Support

If your iPhone, iPad or iPod touch won’t update - Apple Support

iOS update and restore errors – Apple Support

Be aware that while an iPhone may be capable of update, in some circumstances you may need to use a computer to perform the update. To do so, you will need access to either a Windows PC (with iTunes for Windows installed) or a Mac (with iTunes or Finder - as appropriate for the installed version of macOS). Ensure that your installed version of iTunes has been updated to the most recent version; the essential device drivers are included.

Download and use iTunes for Windows – Apple Support

Update to the latest version of iTunes – Apple Support

Update software on iPhone, iPad or iPod touch in iTunes on PC - Apple Support

If you have a beta profile installed, ensure this has been removed from your iPhone - as, otherwise, installation of production software updates may be inhibited. This support page provides the necessary information to remove the beta from your iPad:

How to uninstall iOS beta software - Apple Support

You should note that for your iPhone to install an available update, its battery must be charged to at least 50% capacity - and/or be connected to its Power Adapter. Similarly, the iPad can only be updated over a standard WiFi connection, a 5G Cellular connection, or be updated by a PC or Mac using iTunes or Finder via USB.

If you are unable to perform the update yourself, the technicians at the Genius Bar of your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) will be delighted to assist:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Nov 13, 2023 3:27 PM in response to ezinna16

You can't. Apple is an American company and the United States has terrible cellular networks - poor 4G and 5G coverage and terribly overpriced. Because of that they do not let you download software updates over cellular so that you do not use up all your data.

They should however let users from outside the US, such as Europe and Asia, enable automatic system and app updates using their mobile plans.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.