Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Announcement

Introducing the iPad Pro with Apple M4 chip, the redesigned iPad Air in two sizes, and the all‑new Apple Pencil Pro. Watch the event >

Ipad air 5 Touch ID button surface cracks

My ipad air 5 was only 3-months old, very seldom use only and no history of dropping. Its just yesterday morning that when I noticed that my Touch ID wasn’t working. I thought that my finger was just oily.. Until i decided to reset the unit when adding fingerprint still failed me. But when I check the Touch ID button, the glass top surface material was cracked and shattered.

As i browsed this forum, i saw some clueless like me— I have also no clue how this could have happened, this is too uncommon and very disappointing.

iPad Air (5th generation)

Posted on May 15, 2023 10:49 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 2:48 AM

The TouchID button is an electro-optical sensor.

While the button and its sapphire crystal surface is robust, if damaged, the TouchID sensor will not be able to optically read ridge detail of your fingerprint. If damaged, the sensor must be replaced. Damage of this nature is very rarely reported within the Apple Support Community.

Your iPad may be repaired under warranty. Apple will visually assess your iPad and the button for any signs of physical damage. If none are found, a warranty claim will very likely succeed.

If you accepted the offer of the optional AppleCare+ plan when you purchased your iPad (or within 60-days thereafter), the repair cost will be covered regardless of cause.

You would be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assess your iPad - and you can explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Alternatively, you might use Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

In the circumstances, you might be best advised to explore warranty considerations at the Genius Bar - that, with with abundant courtesy and a smile, you can talk to 🙂

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2023 2:48 AM in response to mdvalderama

The TouchID button is an electro-optical sensor.

While the button and its sapphire crystal surface is robust, if damaged, the TouchID sensor will not be able to optically read ridge detail of your fingerprint. If damaged, the sensor must be replaced. Damage of this nature is very rarely reported within the Apple Support Community.

Your iPad may be repaired under warranty. Apple will visually assess your iPad and the button for any signs of physical damage. If none are found, a warranty claim will very likely succeed.

If you accepted the offer of the optional AppleCare+ plan when you purchased your iPad (or within 60-days thereafter), the repair cost will be covered regardless of cause.

You would be well advised to visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to assess your iPad - and you can explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

Alternatively, you might use Apple’s mail-in repair service:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

In the circumstances, you might be best advised to explore warranty considerations at the Genius Bar - that, with with abundant courtesy and a smile, you can talk to 🙂

Jan 23, 2024 11:08 AM in response to mdvalderama

I'm sorry to tell you this but that crack on your device is not happening unless if someone gives them a pressure with the sharp device, or dropped them. I'm not saying you did the thing, but it seems like someone is damaged them and didn't tell you about this. Sorry about the happening, but you need to convince Apple Store workers to get a free repair, or you need to pay a lot of money to replace the whole device.

Jan 31, 2024 1:57 AM in response to mdvalderama

I have the same issue, my button was not cracked but, as Apple pointed out, has a perfectly straight hairline fracture which they deem is damage caused by handling. I can't see when this could have happened, Touch ID just quit working one day when it was all ok the night before.

The repair/replacement fee offered was about 66% of the retail price of a new iPad.

I will stay far away from any iPad with this Touch ID setup.

Ipad air 5 Touch ID button surface cracks

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.