Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

I can't download an app due to “billing problem with a previous purchase”

I try to download/update apps but it won’t allow me due to their being a “billing problem with a previous purchase”. I asked my sister if she knew the problem and she said I have an unpaid balance of $10.59 from a game called mobile legends. I checked my purchase history and it doesn’t have unpaid balance on there and everything has been payed for from that app. I don’t even understand how I can even have an “unpaid balance” if when you try to purchase off the app it will simply decline your payment because you don’t have enough. This is a problem on y’all end so please help me or fix this. Don’t know why y’all added this if you can simply give the game a payment method when you first make a purchase from the game! Can’t even play my game until y’all fix this. This is stressing me out!

[Re-titled by Moderator]

iPhone 11, iOS 16

Posted on May 15, 2023 10:51 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 24, 2023 7:40 PM

I have the same issue. What’s the fix?

140 replies

May 15, 2023 11:38 PM in response to Raicya

Y’all not understanding. How do I have an “unpaid balance” of $10.59 if when you pay for something on a card it will decline the payment because your card doesn’t have enough money on it. If it does have enough it will let you make the purchase! So once again I shouldn’t have a “unpaid balance”. It don’t make any sense. There’s no billing problem with my last purchase! Apple who whoever made a mistake or something because its not adding up! Don’t know if y’all trying to beat me out my money or what!

Nov 12, 2023 12:09 AM in response to mrokredzur35

That’s what I’m saying!!!!!

It should not be possible to purchase an app or make in-app purchases if the money isn’t there to draw from.

The purchase should have automatically & immediately declined.

Why should I have to pay the price for their messed up system of accounting.

I trusted them to only take what was available.

What a racket!!!

Talk about scamming people out of their money!!

May 15, 2023 11:21 PM in response to mrokredzur35

it will simply decline your payment because you don’t have enough.

If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store, see -> 

If your payment method is declined in the App Store or iTunes Store - Apple Support

⤵️

How to complete your purchase if a payment failed or was declined

1. On your iPhone or iPad, open the Settings app.
  2. Tap your name.
  3. Tap Payment & Shipping.
  4. Add a different payment method and remove the old one
  5. Try to complete your purchase.

If you still can't make a purchase

Check also here -> If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad

If you can’t download or update apps on your iPhone or iPad – Apple Support (UK)

scroll to point 2 & 3  ⤵️

Add a payment method

You may need to have a valid payment method on file, even if the app you want to download is free.

Add a payment method

Resolve a problem with your payment method

If your payment method has expired, declined or failed, or a message says "There is a Billing Problem with a Previous Purchase"

See also the following Apple articles:

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID

Payment methods you can use with your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

fyi: Not all credit & debit cards seem to work with App Store / iTunes Store, try a different one, or preferably a credit card. If your card is not accepted as a paymenf method, you need to contact your bank.

Add a payment method to your Apple ID

Add a payment method to your Apple ID – Apple Support (UK)

• If you want to change your card, you need to add first the new card, then remove the old card.
  • or if you want to use your Apple Account balance, you need to set your Apple Account balance as your default payment. 

Add money to your Apple Account balance -> Add money to your Apple Account balance - Apple Support

Check your Apple Account balance -> Check your Apple Account balance – Apple Support (UK)

If you update your payment method or add funds to your Apple Account balance, It would take about 1 to 3 business days in order to process.

If you're still unable to update your payment method, Contact Apple Support.

If you still need help, get more help and assistant from Apple directly, see Contact Apple for support and service -> Contact Apple for support and service – Apple Support (UK) 

Oct 21, 2023 8:12 AM in response to mrokredzur35

Im having the same issue. Something was purchased on my iPad that wasn’t by me,but it was obviously charged to my card, which had no money on it at the time. But it still somehow got charged but didn’t see the charge till days later,but even then I had no money on my card. Now I can’t update or download even free games or apps. This is the only pos company where my card will be charged without money being on your card.Im not putting micro transactions from gacha games on layaway u trash company. Now I’m forced to pay 26.99 for something I didn’t buy on a card that had no money, or else my iPad becomes a browse the web tablet only until it’s mandatory to update them. They want me to pay the amount owed then request refund lol oh ok, like u guys ever give money back. So now I have a 500 dollar brick or a 500 web browser.

Jan 3, 2024 2:31 PM in response to mrokredzur35

I bought something in app for 1.98 and it saying I owe 2.08 which is weird because I pay for extra storage and it takes the exact amount that is listed now I can’t download anything till my check hits. Who ever did this is stupid. What if people need to download something for work and can’t. If you can’t get the money right away then decline the purchase but don’t take control of my App Store and block me from downloading free apps.

Oct 24, 2023 11:30 AM in response to Raicya

This line…”it will simply decline your payment because you don’t have enough.” Is most definitely not the case. I owe 26.99 to you guys for a accidental purchase made by my mom on my iPad. She’s used to android and buying whatever on her google account and it coming off her card. So she assumed that since she was on her google account to play her game that she was using her card. But that’s not the issue they is that I have a cash app card attached to my Apple account. I only add money to my cash app card when I make a purchase, so there was no money on my card when my mom made that purchase, no money at all, because I wasn’t planning on buying anything myself, but still it was two or three days later after she made the initial purchase that the money tried coming off my card, which I still had no money on my card, so I don’t know why that purchase was even able to go through. It was like they put a micro transaction on layaway. My only solution apparently is to pay for it and then ask for the refund and hope you guys give it back guys are the most money grubbing rich company I’ve ever had to deal with. This is the 3rd or fourth issue I’ve had with apple in the little over a year using my iPad. I’ve been android user for 10 plus years and had problems with them but they were always resolved quickly and without me losing my money or getting stolen basically.

I can't download an app due to “billing problem with a previous purchase”

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.