Strange Charging Issue with iPad Pro

I have an iPad Pro 11 inch 3rd gen running iPadOS 16.4.1(a). About forty days ago, I started having problems charging through my built-in USB-C port, but it charges fine through my Magic Keyboard. Other peripherals work fine on it, and it will charge when cabled to my MacAir, but not when I plug the same cable into a 65w USB-C charger. I've looked over the device with a fine tooth comb, and the port looks fine.

Any thoughts?

Posted on May 16, 2023 10:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 3, 2023 9:31 AM

Same thing except with an iPad Pro 12.9 Gen 5. Trouble began after the ipados 16.5 update. No charging with the supplied cable. But it will charge intermittently with the supplied 20w adapter and an aftermarket cable. Also charges reliably with the usb-c charger that came with my Fuji GFX100S. It will also charge using usb-c power banks. But the Anker 30W adapter that has worked great for a year? No. The Anker is fine. It works on all my other usb-c devices. I’ve tried all the boilerplate “tricks” except a total DFU device reset. Thats next, I guess. This has all the signatures of a regression in iPadOS 16.5. Radio silence from Apple on this topic.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jun 3, 2023 9:31 AM in response to stufried

Same thing except with an iPad Pro 12.9 Gen 5. Trouble began after the ipados 16.5 update. No charging with the supplied cable. But it will charge intermittently with the supplied 20w adapter and an aftermarket cable. Also charges reliably with the usb-c charger that came with my Fuji GFX100S. It will also charge using usb-c power banks. But the Anker 30W adapter that has worked great for a year? No. The Anker is fine. It works on all my other usb-c devices. I’ve tried all the boilerplate “tricks” except a total DFU device reset. Thats next, I guess. This has all the signatures of a regression in iPadOS 16.5. Radio silence from Apple on this topic.

May 16, 2023 10:51 AM in response to stufried

These support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow.

Your iPad Pro will have been supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter - and this would be ideal substitute for testing.

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page. Alternatively, if you have access to another Apple device, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s):

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 16, 2023 10:55 AM in response to LotusPilot

Been there and done that. My wife has a similar iPad that charges fine on the same device and I've tried it with multiple cables and chargers. The same cables also power my M2 Mac Air without an issue. I've actually been to the Apple Store and they claim that they need to send my iPad away to be wiped and repaired. I'm taking a major exam at the end of the month followed by a vacation and deferred that option as I can still charge the unit via the Apple Magic Keyboard port.

My suspicion is that it is a software not hardware problem as my dock works fine with it and as noted it will charge from my MacAir just fine through the built in port.

Strange Charging Issue with iPad Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.