Export photos from Photos App with Content Created Date and Time as part of the text of the file name

How can I export photos from Photos App with Content Created Date and Time as part of the text of the file name?

Can I do this with Photos? If not, maybe with Automator or ScriptEditor?

Example of file name I would like - "051623-143959-Graduation.JPG" in the format of <mmddyy-hhmmss-text.JPG>

MacBook Pro 15″

Posted on May 16, 2023 12:39 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 1:03 PM

You need to write a script to export a photo with the date as a part of the filename.

Photos can set the filename to the title of the photo, when exporting a photo, so write the date into the title of the photo. Here is an example script - modify it to adapt it to your needs: Batch Change Title to Capture Date-Location-Description-Padded Sequential Number

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2023 1:03 PM in response to CrazyAppleMan

You need to write a script to export a photo with the date as a part of the filename.

Photos can set the filename to the title of the photo, when exporting a photo, so write the date into the title of the photo. Here is an example script - modify it to adapt it to your needs: Batch Change Title to Capture Date-Location-Description-Padded Sequential Number

May 16, 2023 10:59 PM in response to CrazyAppleMan

Also, léonie, I read your post Script: Batch Changing the Title to the C… - Apple Community

This changes the Title, but still doesn't help with my need of the exported file name to actually contain the capture date and time. With almost the same script, can one change the file name? What is the variable there? I tried filename, file_name, but didn't work. Thoughts?

May 16, 2023 8:59 PM in response to léonie

ok, lets say I already have a collection of photos from various sources. I am collecting pictures from my co-contributors in a google drive. I then download all of them including mine just into a Folder. Can I also write a script to read the EXIF data from the files (to read the Photo Taken Date/Time) and then rename the files to contain the mmddyy-hhmmss-sequence-text-original-file-name or something like that?

I would rather not experiment with the Photos App, I think :).

Thoughts?

Aug 21, 2023 10:30 AM in response to léonie

Hello léonie!

I am getting this to work a bit now.

Here is what I would like - capture date-capturetime-"BR"-<original filename>.

I have most of it in the script thanks to you!

How do I get the original file name - such as IMG4311.CR2. What is the variable name for the file name?

I would love to be able to append the original filename to the Title and eventually export it so that the new filename is date-time-BR-IMG4311.JPG.

This would just help with the auditing process and ensuring I can match the exports to my original files. Thoughts?

Export photos from Photos App with Content Created Date and Time as part of the text of the file name

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.