Finding enclosing folder in search

In macOS Mavericks, when I performed a spotlight search for an image, as with all other files, as I was typing the name of the file in the search field, a menu option would appear below it reading "search for file name" or words to that effect. Choosing that would limit the search to the exact file name, not merely files that contained one or more of those words. I almost always chose this when I knew the exact words that were in the file name in order to remove the distracting clutter of irrelevant files that Spotlight otherwise shows.

In macOS Ventura, I don't always see this pop up. For example, in the screenshot, I am searching for an image. I see the image, but I don't want to open the image itself, I want to open the folder containing that image. As shown in the screenshot, I don't see any option for opening the enclosing folder of the images. How do you do this in Ventura??

Mac mini, macOS 10.15

Posted on May 16, 2023 3:16 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 3:34 PM

Timothy Arends1 wrote:

In macOS Mavericks, when I performed a spotlight search for an image, as with all other files, as I was typing the name of the file in the search field, a menu option would appear below it reading "search for file name" or words to that effect. Choosing that would limit the search to the exact file name, not merely files that contained one or more of those words. I almost always chose this when I knew the exact words that were in the file name in order to remove the distracting clutter of irrelevant files that Spotlight otherwise shows.

In macOS Ventura, I don't always see this pop up. For example, in the screenshot, I am searching for an image. I see the image, but I don't want to open the image itself, I want to open the folder containing that image. As shown in the screenshot, I don't see any option for opening the enclosing folder of the images. How do you do this in Ventura??

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b60510e4-87fc-4169-9c5f-37f6cb44aba9

How about if you scroll to the bottom>Search in Finder...

From the Spotlight search— Hold the Cmd (⌘) key to view the pathname.

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2023 3:34 PM in response to Timothy Arends1

Timothy Arends1 wrote:

https://discussions.apple.com/content/attachment/b60510e4-87fc-4169-9c5f-37f6cb44aba9

How about if you scroll to the bottom>Search in Finder...

From the Spotlight search— Hold the Cmd (⌘) key to view the pathname.

Finding enclosing folder in search

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.