Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

"Critical virus alert Virus detected!" pop up on my iMac

I am getting an obnoxiously persistent pop up notification with an Apple Settings gear icon and message stating "Critical virus alert Virus detected! Activate your Antivirus. My antivirus program finds no virus. Sometimes the pop up says that my iCloud account has been hacked. How do I get rid of this pop up malware since Virus One and Cleaner One Pro are not eliminating it?

This is on my MacBook.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac 27″ 5K, 13.1

Posted on May 16, 2023 5:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 16, 2023 9:03 PM

As you mentioned - My antivirus program finds no virus. Sometimes the pop up says that my iCloud account has been hacked. How do I get rid of this pop up malware since Virus One and Cleaner One Pro are not eliminating it?

You don't need any anti virus / or cleaner that is installed in Mac , click on finder > applications select them and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash .

See Install and uninstall apps from the internet or a disc on Mac - Apple Support

Also , clear all history and website data Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If you are using safari for browsing , click on the url link and use the settings as per screen shot .

See the articles Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Customise settings for each website in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 16, 2023 9:03 PM in response to jennene

As you mentioned - My antivirus program finds no virus. Sometimes the pop up says that my iCloud account has been hacked. How do I get rid of this pop up malware since Virus One and Cleaner One Pro are not eliminating it?

You don't need any anti virus / or cleaner that is installed in Mac , click on finder > applications select them and move to trash , restart the Mac and empty the trash .

See Install and uninstall apps from the internet or a disc on Mac - Apple Support

Also , clear all history and website data Clear your browsing history in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

If you are using safari for browsing , click on the url link and use the settings as per screen shot .

See the articles Change Websites settings in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

Customise settings for each website in Safari on Mac - Apple Support

"Critical virus alert Virus detected!" pop up on my iMac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.