Black horizontal lines on iMac M1 Ventura

Hello, I see black horizontal lines on display iMac M1 2021 Ventura ( 18 months from purchase , 6 months out of warranty). Factory reset done but issue persists. Its out of warranty so have to bear the massive repair expenses of changing the display but I also hear that Apple conducts repair camps if the issue is pervasive and related to product ( as against usage). Are we expecting any repair camps for M1s ? Its hard to believe that a top of the line product like M1 has a life of only 18 months.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iMac (M1, 2021)

Posted on May 16, 2023 7:58 PM

10 replies

Apr 29, 2024 2:35 AM in response to ihrushi

I saw this one comment from this thread that was experiencing the same problem as you:

thread:Persistent horizontal lines appear on iMa… - Apple Community

I tried to research teardown videos of the IMac 2021 and I think the author does have a point. The LCD screen was like screwed shut? It only has like 2 ports for the camera and screen itself from the outside. I haven’t seen a single video wherein they tried to open the screws from the LCD. So if you even want to know whats causing the problem, it’s impossible since it’s inaccessible.

May 17, 2023 6:29 AM in response to BDAqua

Wonderful guidance. Extremely grateful. No one could break down the diagnostics so simply and elegantly. Can I further enquire what is meant by "cable" ? Does this cable lend itself to repair with resorting to outright LCD replacement ? ( It's strange that most folks/repair shops simply advise change of display unit without trying to systematically isolate the faulty component.)

Jun 5, 2023 11:10 PM in response to BDAqua

You are a very genuine person BDAqua. Thanks for asking. I was so heart broken and felt so cheated that and I did not pursue repair. Meanwhile I had other life emergencies to attend to. Now that I have logged in after 3 weeks I see that the black lines have moved down much to the bottom of the screen ( & now flickering with a low pulse). I am going to watch the pattern for some more time. The screen looks good for the couple of seconds between the flicker pulse and so surely I am not keen to spend upwards of $700 just becoz a half educated apple store guy has no better ideas. I am back on my iMac and with a bit of prayer and research and guidance ( from genuine folks like you) i should make headway soon. Will keep you informed.

Black horizontal lines on iMac M1 Ventura

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.