Internet Recovery fails with error code -1008F and exclamation sign icon on 2019 Macbook Pro

Hi all - appreciate advice! My Macbook Pro seems to have entirely wiped drive which is seen by other computer when booting it in Target Disk mode. It does not boot from bootable USB flash with MacOS Ventura, and running Internet Recovery fails with error code -1008F and an exclamation sign icon with globe in background.

Diagnostics (when booted with "D" button) does not highlight any issues.

How could I un-brick the device? Thank you!

MacBook Pro (2017 – 2020)

Posted on May 17, 2023 7:51 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 17, 2023 9:13 AM

tim-fe wrote:

Thank you - I also tried connecting via Ethernet as well, same outcome. Download time takes approximately 5 minutes, be it Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and then once progress bar comes to 100%, that error shows up.
Will try to reboot router now, though it works fine for other devices in home network.
The device is a brick now, so not sure if safe mode will help if the only functionality available is Internet Recovery..

If you have other devices you have options—

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

Similar questions

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 17, 2023 9:13 AM in response to tim-fe

tim-fe wrote:

Thank you - I also tried connecting via Ethernet as well, same outcome. Download time takes approximately 5 minutes, be it Wi-Fi or Ethernet, and then once progress bar comes to 100%, that error shows up.
Will try to reboot router now, though it works fine for other devices in home network.
The device is a brick now, so not sure if safe mode will help if the only functionality available is Internet Recovery..

If you have other devices you have options—

Revive or restore an Intel-based Mac using Apple Configurator - Apple Support

May 17, 2023 8:32 AM in response to tim-fe

tim-fe wrote:

Hi all - appreciate advice! My Macbook Pro seems to have entirely wiped drive which is seen by other computer when booting it in Target Disk mode. It does not boot from bootable USB flash with MacOS Ventura, and running Internet Recovery fails with error code -1008F and an exclamation sign icon with globe in background.
Diagnostics (when booted with "D" button) does not highlight any issues.
How could I un-brick the device? Thank you!

Your wifi Network is inadequate...in some cases you may be able to move your Mac close to the Router or connect to the Router directly using Ethernet cable, and compare your results.

Power Cycle your router

Disable any VPN or Proxy server

Uninstall any third party Cleaners,Optimizers,Anti-virus

Do a safe boot   How to use safe mode on your Mac - Apple Support

May 17, 2023 9:10 AM in response to leroydouglas

Internet Recovery fails with error code -1008F and exclamation sign icon on 2019 Macbook Pro

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.