Apple Homepod - Wrong radio station, how to correct Siri

Good morning all,

First of all, thanks for those taking the time to assist.

Recently I got an Apple Homepod at home - In the morning I often listen to basic radio so I ask Siri to start streaming from the Belgium radio station MNM.

Siri however interprets this as other stations or as the Artist Eminem. Basically, the pronunciation is similar but although Homepod listens to my native language, it prefers international English-based stations/artists first.

Is there a way to correct Siri to play the proper station in future request?

Example: selecting the radio station first manually, and then saving it as a favorite to refer to.

Thanks

Kristof

Posted on May 17, 2023 11:37 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 9:28 PM

You need to use the exact title used by TuneIn for the station. Say this: "Hey Siri, play VRT MNM radio on TuneIn". I may have over enunciated the station letters, but it worked first time.

You can also create a Home Scene specifying the HomePod accessory and select Play Audio specifying your station (search for "VRT MNM" and select the correct result). Name the scene something easily spoken and distinct. My test was "Bel Radio". I say "Hey Siri, Bel Radio" and your station starts playing.

BTW, be sure to update your HomePod to the latest 16.5 release that just came out - I've tried similar Scene tests recently and they failed. My HomePods were just updated to 16.5 today.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 9:28 PM in response to kristofvdo

You need to use the exact title used by TuneIn for the station. Say this: "Hey Siri, play VRT MNM radio on TuneIn". I may have over enunciated the station letters, but it worked first time.

You can also create a Home Scene specifying the HomePod accessory and select Play Audio specifying your station (search for "VRT MNM" and select the correct result). Name the scene something easily spoken and distinct. My test was "Bel Radio". I say "Hey Siri, Bel Radio" and your station starts playing.

BTW, be sure to update your HomePod to the latest 16.5 release that just came out - I've tried similar Scene tests recently and they failed. My HomePods were just updated to 16.5 today.

May 21, 2023 2:09 AM in response to bgmeek

The full name seems to be working fine - Sound logical for me to do so now that you explained that but might be interesting if Siri would adapt to more "personal" needs.

I can expect this from adults, but not from children for example if they want to play music explaining they have to listen.

Going to see if I can find an older iPad somewhere and use that as a general media tablet.

Thanks for the answer!

Oct 2, 2023 1:22 PM in response to bgmeek

I can't do this (Homepod OS 17). I ask to create a scene, specify the homepod as the accessory, hit "Play audio" as the Media, and then "Choose Audio...". But the only choices it gives me then are Apple Music (to which I don't subscribe) and Ambient Sounds. I see no way to play a radio station.

(I shouldn't need an Apple Music subscription to play a radio station--?)

Apple Homepod - Wrong radio station, how to correct Siri

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.