Apple TV - BBC iPlayer keeps crashing

We have an Apple TV 4K with the Ethernet port. Connected directly to our router with Cat5. UK based. When running BBC iPlayer most of the time it comes up with choose user screen, then looks like it is going to log in, black screen, then dumps us back to the Apple TV apps screen.

No issues with network speed etc This happens almost every day. It also happens with ITVx every 5 or 6 times. I've gone through quitting the apps, deleting the apps and reloading, reseting the Apple TV..... pulling the power lead out of the Apple TV.

Don't have issues running iPlayer on my MacBook Pro or my Mac mini or on an iPad from the same network. Is it the Apple TV OS that's the problem? Running latest version and according to the TV OS there are no pending updates.

Apple TV 4K, tvOS 16

Posted on May 17, 2023 11:23 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 19, 2023 11:32 AM

Hello Simon PB,

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Does this issue happen with any other content as well?

2. Do you receive a specific error when the issue occurs? If so, what does the error say?

The above information will help us plan how to proceed.

Please also check out this link, which has some information that can help if you're unable to watch or stream content in the Apple TV app: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app

If the movie or TV show won't start playing

After each step, try to stream or download the movie or TV show again.

1. Check the System Status page for service interruptions or check a third-party provider's website for any interruptions. If there are service interruptions, try to stream or watch the video later.
2. If you're having trouble signing in with your Apple ID, you can reset your Apple ID password or learn how to get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication.
3. If your cellular connection is poor, connect to Wi-Fi instead.*
4. Try watching on a different device using the same Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If it doesn't work, contact your internet service provider to see if there's an issue with your network.
5. If other people are using Apple TV+ or Apple TV channels, make sure it doesn't exceed the limits for streaming on multiple devices.

* Make sure that your Wi-Fi router is 802.11a/g/n/ac compatible. Streaming HD content requires 8 Mbit/s or faster. Slower tiers of Wi-Fi connections might not be fast enough to stream HD video content.

Thanks!

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 19, 2023 11:32 AM in response to Simon PB

Hello Simon PB,

To help us get a better understanding of the issue, we’d like to ask a few questions.

1. Does this issue happen with any other content as well?

2. Do you receive a specific error when the issue occurs? If so, what does the error say?

The above information will help us plan how to proceed.

Please also check out this link, which has some information that can help if you're unable to watch or stream content in the Apple TV app: If you can't watch or stream movies and TV shows in the Apple TV app

If the movie or TV show won't start playing

After each step, try to stream or download the movie or TV show again.

1. Check the System Status page for service interruptions or check a third-party provider's website for any interruptions. If there are service interruptions, try to stream or watch the video later.
2. If you're having trouble signing in with your Apple ID, you can reset your Apple ID password or learn how to get a verification code and sign in with two-factor authentication.
3. If your cellular connection is poor, connect to Wi-Fi instead.*
4. Try watching on a different device using the same Wi-Fi or cellular connection. If it doesn't work, contact your internet service provider to see if there's an issue with your network.
5. If other people are using Apple TV+ or Apple TV channels, make sure it doesn't exceed the limits for streaming on multiple devices.

* Make sure that your Wi-Fi router is 802.11a/g/n/ac compatible. Streaming HD content requires 8 Mbit/s or faster. Slower tiers of Wi-Fi connections might not be fast enough to stream HD video content.

Thanks!

May 20, 2023 8:14 AM in response to Simon PB

Hello Simon PB,

Based on what you're experiencing and the steps that you've already tried, you'll want to reach out to the app developer directly to look in to this a bit further.

As the makers of that app they will be best suited to troubleshoot it and see what may be happening.

This can help with reaching out to them: How to contact an app developer - Apple Support

Take care!

May 24, 2023 3:51 PM in response to Simon PB

Simon PB,

If this is now happening with multiple apps, there's a recommendation to be made to test if the problem persists on Wi-Fi as well.

If it doesn't, possibly swap that specific ethernet cable going to the Apple TV and if it still persists it may be a hardware issue with the ethernet port on the Apple TV.

In either case, from here we'd recommend contacting Apple directly for assistance.

Take care.

May 19, 2023 4:17 PM in response to Brittany1416

Hi

I click on the BBC iPlayer icon and it opens with the option to select who is watching... only my account is listed. It then goes to a blank screen and after a few seconds takes me back to the Apple TV default screen with all the icons. This usually happens every second or third launch of the iPlayer app. ITVx has done it twice in the same time period since I bought the Apple TV.

each time I have double clicked to see what apps are running and it shows the iPlayer app is running. I 'flick' them all up to close all running apps and try to relaunch the iPlayer app. It still does the same thing as I described above.

The only way I can launch the app after this has happened is to unplug the power from the Apple TV for 30 seconds the plug it back in and so far BBC iPlayer runs every time when I do this.

I use BBC player on my Mac mini, MacBook Pro, iPad Fire stick and SKY Q box using the same BBC log in without any issues.

Ive had other apps... Netflix and More 4 lock up a couple of times during use, but shutting the app and re-launching has solved it each time.

The Apple TV is set to auto update the OS and Apps so I assume that everything is at the latest version.

I originally opted for the Apple TV so I could use the Sky app and get without my Sky box... now I''m considering a Sky puck and getting without the Apple TV

May 24, 2023 3:38 PM in response to Bryan_K1

Hi

After 6 factory resets over the past few days, Netflix is now doing the same thing. I get past the 'who's using Netflix" screen and when selecting a program to play it looks like it is loading/buffering then black screen and back to the Apple TV home page.

It's not my network, the Apple TV is connected directly to my router via a Netgear switch and 1000mb cat5 ethernet cable. Other equipment on this switch works perfectly and my broadband router is 80mb download speed via fibre.

More 4 app has also failed to start two or three times now.

I don't think there is any point in trying to contact the BBC over issues with their iPlayer app. If there was a problem with it there would be a lot more people complaining about it.

At this stage I don't think my Apple TV is fit for purpose. My fire stick, mac book pro, Mac mini even my old Mac Pro tower don't have any issues with iPlayer. I'll probably seek returning it for refund and go another route for a streaming device. Bit disappointed to say the least in the product.

May 24, 2023 4:00 PM in response to DerekM87

I have two WiFi networks available, a secure private network and a mesh network (I'm retired IT network designer) tried it on both WiFi networks and tried it on each of the three network cables available at it's location (one for TV, One for Sky Q and the third for the Apple TV) with the same results.

IMHO It is either a hardware fault or an OS code issue. I could wait for Apple to release the next OS update but I believe that going of past history for Apple TV devices it could be a long wait.

My wife has given up on it completely and returned to the Sky Q box which I was hoping to get without. Amazingly the Sky app works without any issues as does DS video streaming from my Synology NAS.

Jun 12, 2023 7:34 AM in response to Simon PB

Update to my problem.

The Apple TV now has the same issues on Netflix (locking up for a few seconds then returning me to the Apple TV home page. I have also experienced it on the More4 app and Chanel 5 app.

TBH.... I'm now just considering throwing it out. I did contact apple support and all the automated AI response was... "take it to your nearest Apple Store"

Apple TV - BBC iPlayer keeps crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.