Updating OS on an older Mac Pro (mid 2010)

I have a Mac Pro (mid 2010) 2 x 2.4 GHz Quad-Core Intel Xenon running macOS Sierra 10.12.6

I was told that if I purchased and installed a SSD drive it would be possible to update the OS.

Is this correct and how exactly would I go about it? What would be the step by step process for installing and updating? For example would I install the SSD drive into Bay 2 and somehow download / install a more recent OS to the drive?

Thanks

Earlier Mac models

Posted on May 18, 2023 6:23 AM

16 replies

Mar 24, 2024 12:04 PM in response to caitie97

you can not proceed beyond Mojave unless/until you have the firmware upgrades included in Mojave, so you may as well install Mojave as a waypoint. And to install Mojave on these Macs, 10.13 High Sierra is required.

Apple specifically recommends that for downloads that go anywhere near the Mac App Store, Safari is the browser of choice.

Chrome is NOT the solution to ANY problem on a Mac except this one:

"I can't use up all the extra RAM, graphics power, and all the extra compute power in my Mac. Please help me find an incredible resource hog that is less capable and slower than other Mac browsers."

Apr 17, 2024 12:13 PM in response to caitie97

You may be thinking of the Macbook Pro. The OP has a Mac Pro 2010, which is a different Mac altogether. As it's been mentioned before, the Mac Pro (or cMP as it's referred to dearly) can be upgraded as follows:

• Up to High Sierra (10.13.6) without a Metal-compatible GPU card
  • Up to Mojave (10.14.6) with a Metal-compatible GPU card, or
  • Up to Monterey and beyond if using OCLP. Caveat Emptor: using Ventura or Sonoma for video applications can result in machine crashing since no cMP CPU supports AVX2 instructions.

May 18, 2023 7:10 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thank You. I checked and I found one source that said mid 2010 could potentially be compatible with Mojave (see attached). So I can download the stand alone installer (I found this link) and then install to an external SSD drive. I figured I would have to do this in 2 steps. Download install High Sierra first and then Mojave afterwards.

If it installs properly can I then install this drive into Bay 2 and designate it as the start up disk. I am inexperienced with this so I am not sure how I would transfer / install all the applications from the existing drive to the new SSD Drive (is its simple drag and drop). I thought it would be easier to keep both drives unless someone could explain to me the proper way to replace the older drive.

May 18, 2023 6:56 AM in response to Jeff Geisel

MacOS 10.13 High Sierra is the highest that Mac can be upgraded, and it does NOT depend on whether an SSD drive is installed.

That said, users report that after upgrading to an SSD drive "it's like getting a whole new computer!"

The least troublesome way to do this is to obtain an external enclosure, 'toaster', or cable adapter for the new drive, install MacOS on it Externally and get it PERFECT -- all before you attempt any surgery.

That way any problems that occur are caused by the transplant, not the complexities of a new MacOS installation combined with switch over.

Sep 1, 2023 3:03 PM in response to Jeff Geisel

Ahh, the MacPro 4,1 and 5,1 - models close to my heart. I loved these machines (I still have 2).

[edit - my link was deleted for reasons I cannot discern - I suggest doing a google search for "Definitive Classic Mac Pro Upgrade"]

In general a SSD upgrade with breath new life into a machine. I did this myself, although I have to think about how I migrated data...... IIRC, you want the boot drive and programs on the SSD, while bulk data is on the the older spinners. I think I did a split Migration Assistant from the original drives, although the details escape me.

For the later OS you need a specific type of video card ("Metal"). I ended up getting a 8 GB/RX580 which fit within the power requirements and was usable (although it didnt have a boot screen).

Go with SSD first. More RAM second. If you feel brave, I recommend doing a CPU upgrade as you can get top of the line CPUs for that machine for cheap (I did this twice), but you will get your hands dirty (I used a micro blowtorch for my rev. 4,1, and spend some tooth grinding moment getting the heatsinks properly centered.

Ultimately you can take these machines pretty far if you want to look behind the curtain (Open Core).

Tom

[Edited by Moderator] 

Mar 24, 2024 11:02 AM in response to Jeff Geisel

nope not correct this will update to a catalina. download chrome go to apple support download the catalina update and update to the computer. you can do this without an SSD drive. if you are going to big sur or beyond.. yes you need an SSD drive aka flash drive. it’s **** updating these cuz it takes hours… tons of patience of not wanting to throw your computer out the window

Mar 24, 2024 6:51 PM in response to caitie97

caitie97 wrote:

what i said before yes you can download chrome. this has to do with old macbook 2010. you 100% can download chrome because you will run into issues of downloading anything from apples site. once you update to sierra and to sierra high you CAN proceed to catalina… how do u know this?? cuz I did it!!!

This thread is not about 2010 MacBook, MacBook Air, or MacBook Pro notebook computers. (For which, by the way, High Sierra is the end of the line.) It is about the mid-2010 Mac Pro desktop mini-tower computer.

Updating OS on an older Mac Pro (mid 2010)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.