what is the bell with wave icon in control center on Apple Watch SE? It is grayed out so I can't activate it. I want all sound turned off and activated the regular bell icon but I still get a ding when a text comes in.

I want to turn off all sound on my Apple Watch SE. It dings when a text comes in. I've deactivated the bell icon in the control center, but there is a grayed out bell with a wave icon also. What is that for?

Apple Watch SE, watchOS 9

Posted on May 18, 2023 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 7:40 AM

That icon would work if you were wearing AirPods. See this link --> Use Control Center on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Are any of the text notifications you are getting coming from anyone in your favorites list? If yes, even muted, favorite contacts can still come through.

You might want to consider using Haptics as opposed to sounds on your watch. If you turn off sounds and use Haptics, you'll get a tap on your wrist, but no sound when a text message arrives. I don't use sounds at all on my Apple Watch.

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 7:40 AM in response to GrammyFive

That icon would work if you were wearing AirPods. See this link --> Use Control Center on Apple Watch - Apple Support

Are any of the text notifications you are getting coming from anyone in your favorites list? If yes, even muted, favorite contacts can still come through.

You might want to consider using Haptics as opposed to sounds on your watch. If you turn off sounds and use Haptics, you'll get a tap on your wrist, but no sound when a text message arrives. I don't use sounds at all on my Apple Watch.

what is the bell with wave icon in control center on Apple Watch SE? It is grayed out so I can't activate it. I want all sound turned off and activated the regular bell icon but I still get a ding when a text comes in.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.