Is there in update to take macOS 10.11.6 to macOS 10.13 or later?

is there in update to take OS 10.11.6 to 10.13 or later, my serial # is 45****F5X

[Edited by Moderator]

MacBook, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 18, 2023 10:59 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 18, 2023 6:42 PM

filomena119 Said:

"Is there in update to take macOS 10.11.6 to macOS 10.13 or later?"

-------

"Update" OR "Upgrade"?

Upgrading the macOS:

Determining which Upgrade(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 18, 2023 6:42 PM in response to filomena119

filomena119 Said:

"Is there in update to take macOS 10.11.6 to macOS 10.13 or later?"

-------

"Update" OR "Upgrade"?

Upgrading the macOS:

Determining which Upgrade(s) will Install:

I. Verify Compatibility:

A. Start Here: Learn About Compatibility and how to Identify your Specific Mac Model - Apple Support

B. How to Verify:

Reveal your Model:

What is the Model of your Mac? To find out...

1. Go to: Apple menu
  2. Click: About this Mac
  3. View: Second Line-Down

then...

II. Compare the Results:

See if the Model you found is shown here:

III. If Compatible:

Back Up your Mac First:  Be certain you Create a Time Machine Backup of your Mac, so that way you can have something to restore your Mac from, should anything go wrong with the reconfiguration.

May 18, 2023 11:26 AM in response to filomena119

Here is how to upgrade, and links to each version and its associated list of Macs: How to download macOS - Apple Support (The App Store links there will tell you "works on this Mac", or not.)

Apple doesn't have an means to get from the specific Mac to the latest macOS version, so we get to look through each of the newer versions for which Macs are supported. (There's the free MacTracker app in the Mac App Store and iPhone and iPad app stores which does have this info, if you're frequently looking for Apple-related specs.)

Newer versions of macOS have Software Update tool that will show the newest compatible version: Update macOS on Mac - Apple Support — but I don't know if that goes as far back as OS X 10.11 or macOS 10.13.

Is there in update to take macOS 10.11.6 to macOS 10.13 or later?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.