You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Need DOWNGRADE firmware for HP OfficeJet Pro 8715

Aloha! I'm a retired graphic designer and don't need to replace my ink cartridges very often. Case in point -- I bought replacement cartridges in 2018 and just now replaced the CMY. I get an error message stating, "This is an older generation cartridge that does not work in your printer."

Apparently one of the HP firmware updates is causing this error. I've found a firmware downgrade but it's Windows. I cannot find one for Mac OS. I'm running 13.xx Ventura.

I've also posted in the HP community but all the answers are for Windows.

TYIA for your help!

Posted on May 19, 2023 4:55 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 9:25 PM

And how is it done for Windows? An HP Windows app?

Years ago it used to be possible to manually push the firmware update file (not an app executable) to the printer through several means, but I have no idea if any of these methods will work with this printer. Those methods involved accessing the printer's web interface, using ftp, or even "printing" the firmware file to the printer. Does the printer allow for placing the firmware onto a USB stick and using the printer's LCD menu interface to install the firmware from the USB stick? When I say "firmware file", I mean a special file containing only the firmware image itself.....not any type of executable file or archive file....usually the firmware files are in a binary format with a file extension of .bin or possibly .fw, etc.

I tried a quick search, but don't see any references to these methods in regards to this model printer. Seems HP is relying on their own proprietary app to manage the printer.

Also keep in mind that sometimes it is not possible to downgrade firmware.

FYI, anyone who uses an HP printer should make sure to disable automatic printer firmware updates within the printer's menu (through the printer's LCD menu interface). It is also advisable not to purchase HP printers these days because HP will secretly trick users into a printer firmware update which will usually reduce printer functionality. I used to recommend HP printers years ago, but stopped recommending or using HP printers over 10 years ago due to seriously reduced quality, firmware issues, and games HP likes to play.

4 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 20, 2023 9:25 PM in response to Kalanikaumaka

And how is it done for Windows? An HP Windows app?

Years ago it used to be possible to manually push the firmware update file (not an app executable) to the printer through several means, but I have no idea if any of these methods will work with this printer. Those methods involved accessing the printer's web interface, using ftp, or even "printing" the firmware file to the printer. Does the printer allow for placing the firmware onto a USB stick and using the printer's LCD menu interface to install the firmware from the USB stick? When I say "firmware file", I mean a special file containing only the firmware image itself.....not any type of executable file or archive file....usually the firmware files are in a binary format with a file extension of .bin or possibly .fw, etc.

I tried a quick search, but don't see any references to these methods in regards to this model printer. Seems HP is relying on their own proprietary app to manage the printer.

Also keep in mind that sometimes it is not possible to downgrade firmware.

FYI, anyone who uses an HP printer should make sure to disable automatic printer firmware updates within the printer's menu (through the printer's LCD menu interface). It is also advisable not to purchase HP printers these days because HP will secretly trick users into a printer firmware update which will usually reduce printer functionality. I used to recommend HP printers years ago, but stopped recommending or using HP printers over 10 years ago due to seriously reduced quality, firmware issues, and games HP likes to play.

May 20, 2023 6:31 AM in response to Kalanikaumaka

You need to contact HP printer support. Unfortunately HP has never provided decent macOS support so it wouldn’t surprise me to find out there is no macOS firmware downgrade app. In the end your only option may be to ask a friend with a Windows machine to let you downgrade your firmware.

Another possibility is you are using third party replacement cartridges. Printer manufacturers make their money from selling ink and many of them now check to see if the cartridge is authentic. Are you using brand new HP branded cartridges?

May 20, 2023 10:30 PM in response to HWTech

Aloha HWTech,

Thank you for your response. Your answer makes perfect sense. I was reading more about my issue and the first thing I did was disable the automatic updates. I’m livid about what HP has done. This article stated that firmware cannot be reversed on my all-in-one and HP doesn’t give a rip about Mac OS. I also found out that the microprocessor in the ink cartridges that I have are the old ones. That’s why they don’t work. They don’t “talk” to the printer after that firmware update. That was a pretty penny I wasted on cartridges trying to be proactive. Never again will I purchase a HP printer. I’ve been an Apple user over 30 years. I still wish they made printers.

Need DOWNGRADE firmware for HP OfficeJet Pro 8715

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.