Windowserver crash

Windowserver crash in Skylight.framework

I noticed that the crash takes place shortly after the mac and with safari open during the sliding of a web page. The Mac restarts itself.

Similar problem of another user: Windowserver crash - Skylight.framework - Apple Community

Data Source:      Stackshots
Shared Cache:     7D9FAA84-5C6B-3EF4-9379-FABA64346673 slid base address 0x18a720000, slide 0xa720000 (System Primary)
Shared Cache:     ECF2CD57-50B4-3705-BEA9-ED0732E5EBD8 slid base address 0x1b1ab8000, slide 0x31ab8000 (DriverKit)
Shared Cache:     9BDF650C-7FC0-3DE1-BAC4-8535AEA9B6AA slid base address 0x7ff811024000, slide 0x11024000 (Rosetta)
Reason:           (1 monitored services unresponsive): checkin with service: WindowServer returned not alive with context: is_alive_func returned unhealthy : 0x3|5927:5927:2|04040000:04040000:04000000  40 seconds since last successful checkin, 84 total successful checkins 

Command:          WindowServer
Path:             /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/Resources/WindowServer
Codesigning ID:   com.apple.WindowServer
Architecture:     arm64e
PID:              147
Time Since Fork:  901s

Event:            service process watchdog
Duration:         5.55s
Steps:            12

Hardware model:   Mac14,12
Active cpus:      10
HW page size:     16384
VM page size:     16384

Time Awake Since Boot: 908s

Total CPU Time:   0.797s

OS Cryptex File Extents: 18

Process:          WindowServer [147]
UUID:             465422C7-3CFC-3E9F-9C04-813F3A265AA6
Path:             /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/SkyLight.framework/Versions/A/Resources/WindowServer
Codesigning ID:   com.apple.WindowServer
Shared Cache:     7D9FAA84-5C6B-3EF4-9379-FABA64346673 slid base address 0x18a720000, slide 0xa720000 (System Primary)
Architecture:     arm64e
Footprint:        115.83 MB
Time Since Fork:  901s
Num samples:      12 (1-12)
CPU Time:         0.075s
Note:             2 idle work queue threads omitted

Mac mini, macOS 13.3

Posted on May 20, 2023 1:21 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 3:26 PM

Thank you

I tried to do two things from the link you posted:

-Delete the color profiles in the folder

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays

-Deselect as instructed here

I shut down the Mac and tried unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in

Turned back on

I don't know which of the three worked but so far I have no crashing issues

Similar questions

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 3:26 PM in response to PRP_53

Thank you

I tried to do two things from the link you posted:

-Delete the color profiles in the folder

/Library/ColorSync/Profiles/Displays

-Deselect as instructed here

I shut down the Mac and tried unplugging and plugging the HDMI cable back in

Turned back on

I don't know which of the three worked but so far I have no crashing issues

May 20, 2023 2:09 AM in response to sparkettaccio

Not good a Partial Crash Reports , but there are Other Contributors who may request the Full Crash Report and then offer some insights.

I am not one of them

This is occurring on a Mac Mini M2 Pro - is that correct ?

Also, from user profile the machine is running Ventura 13.3 - is that also correct ?

Predicated on the above as being accurate >>

The Current Stable Version of Ventura is now version 13.4

Keep your Mac up to date - Apple Support (CA)

What's new in the updates for macOS Ventura - Apple Support (CA)

May 20, 2023 4:18 AM in response to sparkettaccio

Received your reply via the Automatic Apple Notification but your rely apppears to have been removed for some reason

As mentioned earlier - not good at Crash Reports

Alternative approach is as per below

User choice and respect that.

Download the Application Etrecheck directly from the Developer.

This is a Diagnostic Tool that makes no changes to the computer.

It makes a coherent and readable inventory of both the Hardware and Software used on the computer 

The application is free or paid from added features. 

The Report will Not Reveal Any Personal Information. 

Post back the Full Report - copy and paste - >>>> using the Additional Text Icon ( 3rd Icon to last ) <<<<

We can have a look at the report for possible issues and may have possible suggestions to resolve the issues

May 20, 2023 7:04 AM in response to sparkettaccio

This is a very Heavily configured machine with several Application worthy of reconsidering Removing IMHO

Little Snitch Agent.app

.Cocktail

com.maintain.PurgeInactiveMemory

Then there is what appears to running Two External Drives each with Mount Points as per below

disk4s1 - a***********A

Filesystem: Journaled HFS+

Mount point: /Volumes/a***********A

Used: 119.67 GB

Size: 120.03 GB

Free: 363 MB

disk6s1 - s****o

Filesystem: APFS

Mount point: /Volumes/s****o

Used: 378.15 GB

Shared values

Size: 2.00 TB

Free: 1.62 TB

May 20, 2023 8:46 AM in response to PRP_53

Thank you

Little Snitch is an application that I've been using for many years and it hasn't given me any problems so far.

While Cocktail is an application that I had installed not too long ago but I removed it because I didn't like it. Instead I use OniX.

com.maintain... are leftovers from the Cocktail application. Eliminated

I use two external HDs always connected: 1 via thunderbolt (2TB) 1 via USB (128GB)

I repeat that the crash occurs to me immediately after turning on the Mac. I open Safari and while scrolling through a web page it freezes and then restarts.

If I do anything else, everything is fine. If I wait some time and then open Safari everything is fine. It crashes every time for this exact reason. Use Safari right after you turn on your Mac.

May 20, 2023 9:20 AM in response to sparkettaccio

Q - " I repeat that the crash occurs to me immediately after turning on the Mac. "

A - Little Snitch is a host-based application firewall for macOS. It can be used to monitor applications, preventing or permitting them to connect to attached networks through advanced rules

A - One may have use this Application for years on older versions of macOS but we are dealing with Ventura 13.4

Q - " I use two external HDs always connected: 1 via thunderbolt (2TB) 1 via USB (128GB) "

Q - "  com.maintain.PurgeInactiveMemory "

A - Third Party Applications that muck around and manage what is kept in RAM ( Memory ) sets up a Really ongoing Conflict between the Operating System and the Other Application.

A - The Operating System is very well equipped to manage both the Native Hardware and RAM. Who is better than Apple knows both the Computer and the Operating System

Personally and this is Not My Computer.

I would be tempted to Erase All Content and Setting and start afresh.

Thereafter, install Only the Required Third Party Application from the Apple Apps Store or Directly of Trusted Developers

I speak to and from Memory back in macOS 10.15 Catalina. The Skylight.framework issue seems to me was related to Not Properly Certified and Notarized Software play havoc

I could be correct by some of the more Learned Contributor that point

This last bit about Trusted Developers

A - Try starting the computer without the Externals Attached

Windowserver crash

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.