📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How to disable password when turning on MacBook?

Hello

How to disable password when turning on Macbook?

In the settings I have, everything enabled to make the password not required for example after sleeping mac and it does not work, every time, I have to type the password.

Sorry but I'm a new Macbook user and I'm learning it. Please help.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

MacBook Pro 16″, macOS 13.1

Posted on May 20, 2023 2:57 AM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Mar 8, 2024 8:43 PM

Wrong - it's my machine and my decision - I should have the option, especially if I just use it around my house.

22 replies

May 20, 2023 11:27 AM in response to MacBartli

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and test to see if the problem persists. Reboot normally and test again.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

May 20, 2023 2:07 PM in response to MacBartli

Give this a try: boot into Safe Mode according to How to use safe mode on your Mac and toggle automatic login on and off a couple of times. Reboot normally and to test.

NOTE 1: Safe Mode boot can take up to 3 - 5 minutes as it's doing the following; 

• Verifies your startup disk and attempts to repair directory issues, if needed

• Loads only required kernel extensions (prevents 3rd party kernel/extensions from loading)

• Prevents Startup Items and Login Items from opening automatically

• Disables user-installed fonts 

• Deletes font caches, kernel cache, and other system cache files

NOTE 2: if you have a wireless keyboard with rechargeable batteries connect it with its charging cable before booting into Safe Mode. This makes it act as a wired keyboard as will insure a successful boot into Safe Mode.

How to disable password when turning on MacBook?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.