how can i stop my Macbook Pro from going to sleep after closing the lid on battery mode?

Hello,

I'm connecting my Macbook Pro - M2 Pro to a home TV using HDMI. when I close the lid on adapter mode it stays on but it go to sleep when it is in battery mode. I tried everything but nothing seems to work.

any help pls???

Posted on May 20, 2023 3:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 20, 2023 7:56 AM

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device. (It is NOT an iPhone.)

Your MacBook Pro uses ‘smart charging’ to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 20, 2023 7:56 AM in response to Madi79

That computer is a battery-CAPABLE device. It is not optimized as a battery-operated device. (It is NOT an iPhone.)

Your MacBook Pro uses ‘smart charging’ to charge in the optimum way, and only when necessary. Plugged in is Not necessarily actively charging. There is substantial hardware and software cooperating on battery and charging issues. Simply asserting a charging voltage against one of the interface(s) will NOT successfully charge your MacBook Pro.

In general, you should ALWAYS connect AC power when it is possible to do so, and only run on batteries (which could be somewhat slower) when no AC sources are at hand. Your Mac will NEVER over-charge.

May 20, 2023 5:20 AM in response to Madi79

Closing the lid puts it to sleep, by definition.

There is one modest exception for 'closed-display mode', a feature that still works at the moment, but Apple has removed the stand-alone article about it, suggesting the feature is not something they want to encourage.

The requirements are that you connect an adequate power supply, and typically, a keyboard and mouse as well. If you do not connect a power supply, you are requesting your Mac sleep.

There is no work around. That is the definition of how the feature works.

May 20, 2023 7:48 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Thanks for replying!

are you saying there is no way around it???

i have to keep the power connected at all times, that is going to damage the battery!!

in really surprised Apple is playing “The Dictator” role here!!!

I understand they want to promote encourage the correct use of the right device but don’t force me to do something i don't want just because you can.

thanks again for your reply Grant.

how can i stop my Macbook Pro from going to sleep after closing the lid on battery mode?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.