How to stop "enter password" nagging

I recently downgraded my 2019 iMac from Ventura to Monterey, and since then, when I want to execute certain Finder tasks, such as "Create New Folder" or "Rename" or moving an item to another location, I get constant Password nags, and my fingers are sore from repeatedly entering my password for the most mundane tasks. In all my years as a Mac user, I've never experienced such user-hostile interference.

Is the a System Preference or Finder setting or Terminal command that will turn off this "security" setting?

Thanks for any advice!

Tod

PS: This entry screen won't let me choose my device. This is for a 2019 27" iMac.

Mac mini, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 20, 2023 6:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 11:18 AM

The file/folder permissions on the source or destination items must be incorrect, or you are trying to access a location which may not be permitted.

How did you restore your files when you downgraded the OS?

If you had or have multiple macOS user accounts on one or both versions of macOS, then the permissions issues may be related since a "username" is not what permissions are based on, but a UserID which is hidden from a user.

Where are these files located? Need to the source location and destination since there are parts of a drive which will always require permission, while other locations will not allow you to access at all.

Here is an Apple article about file & folder permissions:

Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

Similar questions

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 11:18 AM in response to TodFromIndiana

The file/folder permissions on the source or destination items must be incorrect, or you are trying to access a location which may not be permitted.

How did you restore your files when you downgraded the OS?

If you had or have multiple macOS user accounts on one or both versions of macOS, then the permissions issues may be related since a "username" is not what permissions are based on, but a UserID which is hidden from a user.

Where are these files located? Need to the source location and destination since there are parts of a drive which will always require permission, while other locations will not allow you to access at all.

Here is an Apple article about file & folder permissions:

Change permissions for files, folders, or disks on Mac - Apple Support

May 27, 2023 12:33 PM in response to HWTech

Hi,

Sorry for the delay; I've been away from my Mac for a couple days.

Your link to the Apple Support article was quite helpful.

Restoral: I tried several different ways that were described on different sites, however, the one that worked was to make a SuperDuper! copy to a newly-erased and formatted external SSD. That SSD worked fie when I used it as the startup disk, and I found that the password nag had disappeared. I then used SD! to copy the external SSD clone back to my internal drive, which I had newly erased and formatted. Upon completion, the system works as expected, without the password nagging.

The link you sent was helpful in understanding permissions. Do you know of a similar article that uses Terminal commands for the same job? I'm used to the terminal from years ago, but have forgotten specific utilitarian commands.

Thank you again for answering.

Tod

How to stop "enter password" nagging

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.