Related Article: About Apple USB power adapters

can I use 20W adapter for iPad (5th generation)?

iPad, iPadOS 15

Posted on May 21, 2023 3:22 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2023 5:22 AM

Yes. The 20W USB-C Power Adapter is perfectly usable with your iPad5 - although your iPad will not charge significantly faster. The iPad5 has a maximum supported charging rate of about 12W (2.4A @5V).

You iPad will only draw the power that it needs - up to the maximum power that the iPad is designed to charge its battery. The iPad will automatically regulate battery charging, reducing the current (mA) that it draws from the Power Adapter as full charge is reached.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2023 5:22 AM in response to jourina

Yes. The 20W USB-C Power Adapter is perfectly usable with your iPad5 - although your iPad will not charge significantly faster. The iPad5 has a maximum supported charging rate of about 12W (2.4A @5V).

You iPad will only draw the power that it needs - up to the maximum power that the iPad is designed to charge its battery. The iPad will automatically regulate battery charging, reducing the current (mA) that it draws from the Power Adapter as full charge is reached.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.