Early 2009 24” IMac with a new M2 mini mac

Can I use my early 2009 24” IMac with a new M2 mini mac?

iMac, OS X 10.11

Posted on May 21, 2023 12:12 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 21, 2023 12:34 PM

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and Target Display mode is no longer a feature of macOS, having been deprecated several years ago.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Your target iMac (monitor) must be using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

However, you might consider a third-party solution, for example: Luna Display or Duet Display, though I can’t speak for the performance of those.

Do yourself a favor, avoid the headache and just budget an extra $100 for a monitor. 

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 21, 2023 12:34 PM in response to dundeelad

Unfortunately, that setup is not supported by Apple. The iMac cannot be used as a monitor for any of the newest Macs and Target Display mode is no longer a feature of macOS, having been deprecated several years ago.

Please see: Use your iMac as a display with target display mode - Apple Support

Per the link above:

• Your target iMac (monitor) must be using macOS High Sierra 10.13.6 or earlier. 

• In all cases the source Mac that you're connecting FROM must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS 10.15 Catalina or earlier installed.

However, you might consider a third-party solution, for example: Luna Display or Duet Display, though I can’t speak for the performance of those.

Do yourself a favor, avoid the headache and just budget an extra $100 for a monitor. 

Early 2009 24” IMac with a new M2 mini mac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.