iPad 6th generation won’t charge.

iPad 6th generation. Charge was slow but then it stopped charging all together. When I force restart it the plug in screen appears, battery indicator blinks a thin red line then screen goes black. Tried charging with different charging cords/power adapters and with laptop.

iPad (6th generation)

Posted on May 21, 2023 9:24 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 22, 2023 3:54 AM

As described - and the age of your iPad - the symptoms that you describe suggest a failing battery. 

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Otherwise, these support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page - or via this link:

Official Apple Support

Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s). If service is required, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 22, 2023 3:54 AM in response to jbv55

As described - and the age of your iPad - the symptoms that you describe suggest a failing battery. 

Are you able to use the iPad while remaining connected to your Power Adapter? If yes, while monitoring the indicated battery state, disconnect the Power Adapter; if the indicated battery state suddenly falls, or the iPad shuts-off, this test demonstrates the iPad battery having reached the end of its usable life:

iPad Repair & Service - Apple Support

Otherwise, these support pages should help with troubleshooting battery and charging issues:

Charge and monitor the iPad battery - Apple Support

If your iPad won't charge – Apple Support

Troubleshooting generally requires substitution of the Power Adapter and cable for another known-good item. Most models of iPad require a Power Adapter rated at 12W or greater to reliably charge. 5W Power Adapters intended for older models of iPhone are inadequate to charge an iPad; if the iPad charges at all, charging will be very slow. Recent models of iPad are supplied with a 20W USB-C Power Adapter.

Be aware that many computer USB ports cannot source sufficient power to charge an iPad. Unless explicitly designed for charging connected devices, computer USB ports are typically limited to 0.5-1A @5V (i.e., 2.5-5.0W).

If you continue to experience difficulties when using an appropriate Power Adapter of 12W or greater, you might be best advised to seek assistance directly from from Apple Support - and request a remote diagnostic test. You can contact the Support Team using the Support link at top-right or bottom-left of this page - or via this link:

Official Apple Support

Alternatively and perhaps easier, you can initiate and manage your support cases using the excellent Apple Support App. If not already installed on your iPad, the App can be downloaded from the App Store:

https://apps.apple.com/gb/app/apple-support/id1130498044

You might also visit the Genius Bar at your local Apple Store or Apple Authorised Service Provider (AASP) - where the technicians will be able to test and assess your iPad, Power Adapter and cable(s). If service is required, you’ll be in the best possible place to explore your available options:

Genius Bar Reservation and Apple Support Options - Apple

May 21, 2023 11:10 PM in response to y_p_w

Thank you for the reply. It was at 4% and I could not get it to charge any higher, then it went black. When you say the battery died are you referring to the battery capacity / chemical age - that the battery is no longer good? Versus when people say "my battery died and I need to charge it". Just wanted to clarify. I am wondering if the charging port is the issue. Thank you :-)

May 22, 2023 8:09 AM in response to jbv55

I meant total catastrophic failure. Something like a short, where it might be detected and impossible to charge as a safety precaution. It’s something that happens sometimes with lithium-ion batteries.

Your options from Apple are pretty slim if it doesn’t power on to the point where they can run diagnostics. If it were a severely degraded battery, it should at least power on and they can check to see that everything else otherwise works correctly and can offer a battery replacement service (really a replacement but at a lower price), but if it doesn’t power on the only option I’ve heard of from Apple is an “other damage” replacement.

iPad 6th generation won’t charge.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.