📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Studio Display shows 3 pulsing dots then turns off

This has been a regular issue since the purchase of the Studio Display that usually resolves itself after hours of unplugging and plugging back in both the power cable to the display and my Mac Studio, however in the past couple of days I have not been able to get them to play nice with each other. No matter how many times I power cycle (unplug and wait 5secs-5mins) the display and restart my mac, nothing is working.

Does anyone know anything that could help me?

My last resort will be to take it in to the Apple Store.

Studio Display

Posted on May 22, 2023 5:33 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 4, 2024 7:02 AM

Make sure it's plugged into the display's Thunderbolt port, not one of the USB-C ports. I saw this on a forums.macrumors.com and it worked for me!

5 replies

Oct 19, 2023 1:30 AM in response to MaxiTiger99

Hi,

I had the exact same issue just now: three little flashing white dots when I tried to connect my 16" Macbook Pro to my Studio Display (this, after not connecting to the display for some months). T

I tried power cycling the Display; nothing. Then I tried re-starting the laptop - result. Now, I got a small dialog on the MacBook asking me "Did I want to allow an accessory to connect?"

The dialog didn't mention the Display, as such (it just said "an accessory"). And I don't know what process spawned the dialog. I quickly hit "Allow" on this dialog, and the Display then connected fine.

Apologies that this isn't a fix, as such. But I guess what is salient is that, for me, the dialog only appeared when I power cycled both the MacBook and the Display at the same time, with the Display connected to the laptop at all times.

Hope this helps!

Stu Jackson

Studio Display shows 3 pulsing dots then turns off

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.