Text Editors

If I download an alternative app for Pages ( like Google Docs) , where will I find my current documents ? Do I need to transfer them from one to the other ?

Do I have to use Google Drive to store them or is there someplace on my iPad that I could put them ?

🧭 I'm not trying to talk about Google , their community forum seems chaotic to navigate that's why I'm asking here .

🗺️

iPad, iPadOS 16

Posted on May 23, 2023 2:08 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jun 14, 2023 5:02 PM

Tom Gewecke

I will create documents on my iPad and see how it goes . And , I didn't know that PDF 's open in the Files App .

I don't download files from sites for work purposes , most of my docs are for personal use .

Thanks for your advice , again ! 👨‍🏫

8 replies

Jun 13, 2023 4:17 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Reply to Tom Gewecke ; Text Editors

Hey Tom ,

I took a screenshot of one of the many reasons why I'm seeking out an alternative text editor . Additionally , " favorites " = " downloads " , all of the folders , I didn't do that .

I had a downloads folder on my iPad (favorites ) and one in iCloud Drive , I kept the iCloud Drive one , though it's empty .

I don't know the meanings of some of the options at the bottom … download now &

remove download .

Do I have this correct : create docs in Pages , then move to a folder in iCloud Drive ?

If a document is in Pages , then it's in iCloud Drive too ?

For example : I have a document named List.Pages in iCloud Drive . When I tap to share , there is a choice " save to Files " , isn't it already in Files if it's in iCloud Drive ?

Sidebar … an option to remove " recents " and " shared " would be good .

Sorry if I sound all over the place with this , I'm asking too many questions at once so I'll just stop here . 🙏 Your patience is much appreciated .

Jun 12, 2023 2:01 PM in response to Tom Gewecke

Reply to : Tom Gewwcke Text Editor

Hi Tom ,

I'm looking for an alternative because : I can't create documents in the Files App , when I attempt to copy & paste the document is dimmed , I can't edit or move a webpage document ~ only saves as PDF or web archive and the help center hasn't been useful to me .

My documents are for home / personal use only , I'm not collaborating with anyone ,

so I don't appreciate , nor understand the pre-formatting … tables , cells , placeholders , objects etc. .

I feel that Apple's curated , unsolicited help with the documents , photos , music and email composition need an opt-out selection , otherwise the user is powerless or has to re-do what was done automatically . I have sent feedback to the Pages developer , not much else that I can do . 🤷‍♀️

Thanks for your interest and responses .

Jun 12, 2023 3:47 PM in response to SteelCityAnne

Thanks for the explanation.

I'm still a little unclear about the problem you face. For ordinary documents, I have no problem creating texts in Pages on my ipad (I use the Basic Blank template), saving that to Files, then reopening and editing or adding new text, etc. inside the Files App. Does that not work for you?

Regarding "webpage documents", are you talking about editing html source code? Or just copy/pasting stuff from web pages into a word processor. I have no problem doing the latter into Pages, either directly or after reopening some document saved earlier into the Files app.

Jun 14, 2023 3:48 PM in response to SteelCityAnne

SteelCityAnne wrote:

Do I have this correct : create docs in Pages , then move to a folder in iCloud Drive ? If a document is in Pages , then it's in iCloud Drive too ?

When you create a doc in Pages, you can choose to do it either On My iPad or in iCloud. Either way they get saved to Files, but different parts of Files (iCloud or On My iPad). You probably want to keep things on your iPad rather than in iCloud (unless you have other devices where you want get the same docs automatically). There various ways to move them around or put them in folders inside Files if you want.

Do you normally download files from sites to work with them?

Pages cannot open pdf's, so they will be grayed out when you are in Pages, but they should open OK when you are in Files. Editing them requires another kind of app. Is copy/pasting stuff from web pages or pdf's into Pages not enough for your purposes?

Text Editors

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.