Apple’s Worldwide Developers Conference to kick off June 10 at 10 a.m. PDT with Keynote address

The Keynote will be available to stream on apple.com, the Apple Developer app, the Apple TV app, and the Apple YouTube channel. On-demand playback will be available after the conclusion of the stream.

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Close download/open dialog in fullscreen mode

When I navigate to a url that provides a document, which Safari is not capable to show directly (let's say an Excel file), it shows me a dialog where I can choose whether to open it in a external app or download it. So far so good.

Now when I save a web app to the homescreen, Safari opens in "full screen mode", when I next open this app from the homescreen. The same dialog from above now opens also in full screen. But there is no 'x' to close it. Right swipe also does not work. So I cannot go back to the application. How can I close this dialog?

iPad (7th generation)

Posted on May 23, 2023 3:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 3:16 AM

If you're using an iPad (7th generation) and encounter a full-screen dialog without an apparent way to close it when opening a web app from the home screen, you can try the following steps:

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen to reveal the address bar in Safari. This action may bring the dialog into view, allowing you to access the close button.
  2. Look for a small "Done" or "Close" button within the dialog box. It may be located in the top-left or top-right corner of the dialog. Tap on that button to close the dialog.
  3. If the above options don't work, try using the app switcher to force-close Safari. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle to access the app switcher. Find the Safari app preview and swipe it up or off the screen to force-close it. After reopening Safari, the dialog should no longer be present.
  4. Alternatively, you can restart your iPad. Press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" option appears. Slide it to power off your device, and then press the power button again to turn it back on. After the restart, the dialog should no longer appear when you open the web app from the home screen.

By following these steps, you should be able to close the full-screen dialog and resume using the web app normally on your iPad (7th generation).

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 3:16 AM in response to braendi

If you're using an iPad (7th generation) and encounter a full-screen dialog without an apparent way to close it when opening a web app from the home screen, you can try the following steps:

1. Swipe down from the top of the screen to reveal the address bar in Safari. This action may bring the dialog into view, allowing you to access the close button.
  2. Look for a small "Done" or "Close" button within the dialog box. It may be located in the top-left or top-right corner of the dialog. Tap on that button to close the dialog.
  3. If the above options don't work, try using the app switcher to force-close Safari. Swipe up from the bottom of the screen and pause in the middle to access the app switcher. Find the Safari app preview and swipe it up or off the screen to force-close it. After reopening Safari, the dialog should no longer be present.
  4. Alternatively, you can restart your iPad. Press and hold the power button until the "slide to power off" option appears. Slide it to power off your device, and then press the power button again to turn it back on. After the restart, the dialog should no longer appear when you open the web app from the home screen.

By following these steps, you should be able to close the full-screen dialog and resume using the web app normally on your iPad (7th generation).

Close download/open dialog in fullscreen mode

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.