Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Missing contact info

I have an iphone 13 and noticed a similar problem where contact info is missing on random but not all contacts but when I refer to previous text messages of those that are missing, the stream of past messages is still there. Please provide instructions on how I can quickly fix. Thanks!

Posted on May 23, 2023 6:17 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 6:27 AM

When you look deeply you will find that Contacts are neither stored on an iPhone nor on SIM. They are synced to an email account that you may have added and enabled Contacts. It could be Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other email client server.

When you enable Contacts in any of the email accounts they are displayed to you through the Contacts App. When you edit these contacts on an iPhone they are ultimately edited on the client-server.

Please see the pic below for a better understanding...

If you are unable to find your contacts which were stored in the email client, then try this --> Restore contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and more using ...

Check if the email account has been removed from the iOS mail app.

Add the email account that stores your contacts in the IOS mail app and enable Contacts.

What is your default Contacts account? If none, please add an email account and enable contacts.

See the pic below

Unlike some Android devices, contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

If you have a corporate email account added through a profile on your device, please check with your organization's system administrator.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 6:27 AM in response to FLDK4now

When you look deeply you will find that Contacts are neither stored on an iPhone nor on SIM. They are synced to an email account that you may have added and enabled Contacts. It could be Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other email client server.

When you enable Contacts in any of the email accounts they are displayed to you through the Contacts App. When you edit these contacts on an iPhone they are ultimately edited on the client-server.

Please see the pic below for a better understanding...

If you are unable to find your contacts which were stored in the email client, then try this --> Restore contacts, calendars, bookmarks, and more using ...

Check if the email account has been removed from the iOS mail app.

Add the email account that stores your contacts in the IOS mail app and enable Contacts.

What is your default Contacts account? If none, please add an email account and enable contacts.

See the pic below

Unlike some Android devices, contacts are neither stored locally on an iPhone nor in SIM. They are synced to an email account that you had Google, iCloud, AOL, Exchange, Outlook, Yahoo or any Other

If you have a corporate email account added through a profile on your device, please check with your organization's system administrator.

May 23, 2023 6:46 AM in response to SravanKrA

I do not have "default account" in contacts/settings so I have tried the restore option and cannot see an immediate change in the lost contacts but I read that it could take up to 24 hours for them to be restored. The only thing that I did that I can thing would be a trigger was that I deleted an old email account last night from a company that I worked for years before I would have created the contacts that I find missing the info on so I have a hard time thinking that is/was the problem. Thanks for the help and hopefully the "restore" process will ultimately work.

Missing contact info

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.