Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone over-riding audio settings when receiving an incoming call

I have an iPhone Xr running iOS 16.4.1(a).

I observe a problem when I am using the phone to listen to music via Bluetooth-connected audio equipment. I have experienced this problem with Sennheiser PXC-550 and PXC-500 Mk II headphones, as well as Sony WF-1000XM4 and WF-1000XM3 earbuds.

I can be listening to music. My handset receives the call, and I can hear the "ring tone" over my headphones/earbuds to alert me to the caller. I swipe to take the call... and the audio for the call immediately switches away from my Bluetooth device and on to the handset.

This happens with 100% consistency and is experienced across 4 different connected peripherals. It seems likely that this is an issue with an iOS configuration setting, but I've not found it yet.

Any ideas please?

Posted on May 23, 2023 7:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 9:02 AM

Please check you may have enabled --> Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > Bluetooth [Ticked]

Please set it to Automatic.

Please see the pic below made on iPhone 12 Pro iOS 16.5. The two scenarios which I tested are given below and are self-explanatory

4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 23, 2023 9:02 AM in response to ytene

Please check you may have enabled --> Settings > Accessibility > Touch > Call Audio Routing > Bluetooth [Ticked]

Please set it to Automatic.

Please see the pic below made on iPhone 12 Pro iOS 16.5. The two scenarios which I tested are given below and are self-explanatory

Feb 5, 2024 11:34 AM in response to ytene

I just recently figured out what was causing this issue for me. I have beats headphones and I had the same problem where phone calls were not going to my Bluetooth headset. What I discovered was, by habit, I was swiping on my screen to answer the phone. What I need to do to fix this problem is use the Bluetooth headset to answer the phone by pressing the button on the headset it answers the phone and routes the call to the headset. I have the same problem with my car stereo if I swipe on my screen to answer the phone the call goes to the regular phone but if I push the answer button on my car stereo the call is routed through my car stereo

iPhone over-riding audio settings when receiving an incoming call

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.