Folder takes up more than it's supposed to??

2019 MBP

MacOS Big Sur 11.6.2

So the Users > *your username* folder - as seen on the screenshot - is taking up about 52 GB of storage, after selecting all the content in that folder, it drops down to around 8 GB. So what? I just have filled up circa 40gb with... nothing? I know that it could be a virus, but if anybody knows a fix you would be a life saver.

MacBook Pro 13″, macOS 11.6

Posted on May 23, 2023 11:11 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 26, 2023 8:07 AM

adrianhossler wrote:

2019 MBP
MacOS Big Sur 11.6.2

So the Users > *your username* folder - as seen on the screenshot - is taking up about 52 GB of storage, after selecting all the content in that folder, it drops down to around 8 GB. So what? I just have filled up circa 40gb with... nothing?

8GB here is your RAM this is memory.

Storage—this would be HD/SSD

From the Finder sidebar Favorites if you highlight your User/Home folder, Command i opens the info pane

that is all your user data usage (Storage.)

Similar questions

1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

May 26, 2023 8:07 AM in response to adrianhossler

adrianhossler wrote:

2019 MBP
MacOS Big Sur 11.6.2

So the Users > *your username* folder - as seen on the screenshot - is taking up about 52 GB of storage, after selecting all the content in that folder, it drops down to around 8 GB. So what? I just have filled up circa 40gb with... nothing?

8GB here is your RAM this is memory.

Storage—this would be HD/SSD

From the Finder sidebar Favorites if you highlight your User/Home folder, Command i opens the info pane

that is all your user data usage (Storage.)

Folder takes up more than it's supposed to??

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.