📢 Newsroom Update

The iPhone 16 and iPhone 16 Pro lineups, Apple Watch Series 10, the new black titanium Apple Watch Ultra 2, AirPods 4, and new colors for AirPods Max are now available! Learn more >

You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

.AAE file

.AAE file won't open on my iphone xr so what should i do

iPhone XR

Posted on May 23, 2023 8:20 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on May 23, 2023 9:16 PM

AAE files are a special type of file that the Apple Photos app uses to keep track of changes that you make to your photos.

You do not need to open these files under normal circumstances and it is not possible to open them in iOS. Rest assured these that these files of not store any photos in them.

The Photos app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac uses those AAE files silently in a way that’s transparent to the user, so you don’t have to worry about “opening” them on those platforms, either. If AAE files exist in the same folder as the photos that they refer to, Photos will know how to use them automatically. 

On Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, or Mac, you can open an AAE file in a text editor, but the XML data that you’ll see there isn’t very useful. The edit data can only be read by the Apple Photos app.

https://www.howtogeek.com/747946/what-are-aae-files-from-an-iphone-and-can-i-delete-them/

1 reply
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

May 23, 2023 9:16 PM in response to saurabhjagtap_

AAE files are a special type of file that the Apple Photos app uses to keep track of changes that you make to your photos.

You do not need to open these files under normal circumstances and it is not possible to open them in iOS. Rest assured these that these files of not store any photos in them.

The Photos app on iPhone, iPad, and Mac uses those AAE files silently in a way that’s transparent to the user, so you don’t have to worry about “opening” them on those platforms, either. If AAE files exist in the same folder as the photos that they refer to, Photos will know how to use them automatically. 

On Windows, Linux, Chrome OS, Android, or Mac, you can open an AAE file in a text editor, but the XML data that you’ll see there isn’t very useful. The edit data can only be read by the Apple Photos app.

https://www.howtogeek.com/747946/what-are-aae-files-from-an-iphone-and-can-i-delete-them/

.AAE file

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.