You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple ID, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Learn about all the features, apps, and settings of your iPhone

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Latest update not charging issue 16.5

Phone will not charge unless I turn it off and back on again. I see back in 2022 there was the same issue and now I'm experiencing the same issue with my 13 pro max. since the 16.5 update Any new info on what I may be able to do to fix this

iPhone 13 Pro Max

Posted on May 24, 2023 3:06 PM

Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Posted on Jan 10, 2024 5:56 AM

I have exactly the same issue and it started just a few weeks ago (in the absence of any recent iOS updates or major changes in iphone usage). I plug in the charger, the charging indicator comes on for a few seconds, then on its own the indicator goes off and the phone doesn't charge. If I restart my iphone it charges fine for a while then the problem happens again a few hours later. Definitely due to software.

33 replies
Question marked as Top-ranking reply

Jan 10, 2024 5:56 AM in response to TechnoSapian

I have exactly the same issue and it started just a few weeks ago (in the absence of any recent iOS updates or major changes in iphone usage). I plug in the charger, the charging indicator comes on for a few seconds, then on its own the indicator goes off and the phone doesn't charge. If I restart my iphone it charges fine for a while then the problem happens again a few hours later. Definitely due to software.

Sep 13, 2023 10:11 PM in response to tchrgrl2

Absolutely. I don’t think they even read the question. Clearly you got finished updating your phone and threw it directly into a hay stack before plugging it in for a top off. I never update my phone but my wife does. I wondered why hers stopped working on her phone but still worked on mine. Then tonight I updated mine and now it no longer works on mine. It’s total BS pay 1200 for a phone they don’t even give you the block anymore.

Oct 26, 2023 11:15 PM in response to TechnoSapian

I’m furious about this!! I am on business thousands of miles away from home, gone through 4 different chargers and nothing. In San Diego 2 more days and hope I can actually charge the over 1000 overpriced malfunctioning phone I have!! This is so unacceptable! My connection to my kids, my transportation back to the airport, and really my main source of payment. Get a working update!

May 25, 2023 1:47 AM in response to TechnoSapian

If the issues you mentioned are indeed caused by iOS, it's likely that numerous users who have upgraded to iOS 16.5 are experiencing similar problems. However, in order for the community on this forum to provide helpful responses, it would be beneficial for you to specify the nature of the issue you are encountering. Without this information, it may be difficult for others to address your concern effectively.

With the limited information that you have provided, It is hard to even guess the problems faced by you. 

You may get faster and better responses to your query by --> Writing an effective Apple Support Commun… - Apple ...

Please re-post with detail so that someone else can help.

Feb 3, 2024 7:39 AM in response to TechnoSapian

New default settings of battery on new os release of iPhone may cause not charging in some cases like enabling by default “Clean energy charging”. I disabled this feature added by Apple to save immaterial energy for charging. Apple enabled it by default without notifying its issues to iPhone users. This may make some people to have iPhone15 to have good battery but the issue of this evil feature.

May 25, 2023 6:12 AM in response to SravanKrA

Well I’m not sure how else to put it beside what I already have.. since the upgrade my phone will not charge unless I restart it. I have used multiple cables and power blocks. It happens on all of them. I have cleaned it.. the only way it kicks into charge mode is web it is restarted. Can’t think of any other way to describe the problem. But thank you for your time.

Jul 21, 2023 3:50 AM in response to SravanKrA

I am experiencing this problem bar the fact it wont charge at all other than turning on when I plug it in. Which led me factory reset my iphone but still will not respond to my apple charger when I try checking for updates through recovery mode on my pc it keeps showing error 4505 and 5 I've tried many differeent apple chargers I have and still the same strangley the most response I get (which is just it turning on when connected to wire) is when connected to ps5.

Jun 16, 2023 11:50 AM in response to TechnoSapian

TL;DR:

Try a USB C to lightning cable.

Had the same problem. I have my iPad (4th gen iPad Air) perma-connected to a lightning-to-USB 3 camera adapter so I can stream digital music to an external DAC and from there into a headphone amp. Until the 16.5 release, the iPad would charge as long as it was plugged into the Lightning extension cable connected to the adapter with no problem. After 16.5, it would only charge when powered off.

Elsewhere in the Apple discussion forums someone recommended using a USB C to lightning cable, instead of the USB A to lightning cable that I normally use. So, I found a USB C charger (Anker - 75W maybe) and what I think is the OEM USB C to lightning cable that came with my iPhone 14 Pro, plugged it in and like magic the iPad is charging fine again through the camera adapter while powered on.

Oct 20, 2023 9:46 PM in response to TechnoSapian

@srvankra what you say would make a lot of sense until you said make sure you have the latest version iOS - I say this as that is what caused my phone to stop charging. It updated and then all went crazy. The up down start button reset does not work and nothing in the bottom of my device or charging ports. I bought a new lightening wire, tried plugging into my computer the wall and several chargers. I did a restore from iTunes and I really need something to work as I’m not able to buy a new phone due to medical bills. Please give me the magic cure for my phone so at least something can be well for me. Thanks

Latest update not charging issue 16.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.