I changed my email address for my Apple ID, now all of my apps from the old ID are asking me to re-purchase.

I have successfully changed my email address for my Apple ID.

Now all of my apps from the old ID are asking me to re-purchase.

I can’t sign on using the old ID (nor should I be able to).

Any suggestions as to how I can retrieve the apps would be appreciated.

[Re-Titled by Moderator]

iPhone 13

Posted on May 24, 2023 4:19 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on May 24, 2023 10:04 PM

This is DownUnder again. Apparently I have two IDs going here.

Thanks for the help.

It is now working.

I stumbled on to what worked, but didn't document it.

This is it in summary:

I have two IDs; one for the US store and one for the Aussie store.

I THINK what worked was to sign on with the new ID and PW (for the US store) and then delete the apps. (Perhaps I was still in my first ID (Aussie) when I went through this procedure the first time?).

Then the apps were reloaded, and all was sweetness and light.

In short (too late?), I had to be in the proper ID before deleting the apps.

thanks again for your advice.

3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

May 24, 2023 10:04 PM in response to Limnos

This is DownUnder again. Apparently I have two IDs going here.

Thanks for the help.

It is now working.

I stumbled on to what worked, but didn't document it.

This is it in summary:

I have two IDs; one for the US store and one for the Aussie store.

I THINK what worked was to sign on with the new ID and PW (for the US store) and then delete the apps. (Perhaps I was still in my first ID (Aussie) when I went through this procedure the first time?).

Then the apps were reloaded, and all was sweetness and light.

In short (too late?), I had to be in the proper ID before deleting the apps.

thanks again for your advice.

May 24, 2023 6:58 PM in response to DownUnder-50-

Here's how you change the email address you use for your Apple ID:

1. Go to https://appleid.apple.com and sign in.

2. In the Sign-In and Security section, choose Apple ID.

3. Enter the email address that you want to use as your Apple ID.

4. Choose Change Apple ID.

5. If you changed your Apple ID to a third-party email address, check your email for a verification code, then enter the code. Learn what to do if you didn't get the email. --> If you didn't receive your verification or reset email - Apple Support

6. If you use services like iCloud or Messages to share with friends and colleagues, sign in to those services with your updated Apple ID. --> What to do after you change your Apple ID or password - Apple Support

For more details, read the document: "Change your Apple ID" --> Change your Apple ID - Apple Support

I suspect you did not do it that way but instead created a new Apple account. Sign in using the old information and then change the address on that account. However, you won't be able to use the email address you just used to create a new account since that one is already irrevocably taken.

The other possibility is convoluted but it would be if you downloaded the aps with a different acount before you changed the email on the last one correctly. It needs to be logged into the account used to download the apps originally, whichever account that happens to be.

I changed my email address for my Apple ID, now all of my apps from the old ID are asking me to re-purchase.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.